In season one of "Dollhouse," Joss Whedon (creator of the
series) wrote only two of the episodes -- #1 - "Ghost,"
and #6 - "Man on the Street." True-blue fans (of which I
am one) tend to think that they were the two best of that
season. In season two, Joss wrote episode #1 - "Vows," but
has remained absent as a writer until now. So along comes
episode #8 - "A Love Supreme."

If you know the works of John Coltrane, everything you need
to know is in the title. "A Love Supreme" was Coltrane's
masterwork. I suspect that "Dollhouse" -- short-lived as
it may be -- will be regarded in the future as somewhat of
a similar masterwork.

Jazz is improvisation. You start with a theme, a concept,
and then -- if you have the balls -- you take the theme and
go all Nike on its ass and Go For It. Coltrane did that with
his "A Love Supreme." Joss did that with his. It's not just
that every note of the basic theme leads up to but could
never predict the eventual epiphanal moments when the piece
took flight and became something else, something transcendent
to the theme. It's that every note of the first few bars in
which the theme was established were *essential* to the piece
taking flight. What came before didn't just precede what
followed; what came before *enabled* what followed, and
allowed it to happen.

"A Love Supreme" is not a one-hour segment in a 26-hour
television series. It is chapter twenty-one in a twenty-six-
chapter novel.

Sometimes when I watch "Dollhouse" I feel like a reader
following the works of Dashiell Hammett, or Erle Stanley
Gardner, or Raymond Chandler, or, for that matter, Charles
Dickens, in the first publication of their latest novel.
All of these writers' novels were *serialized* in cheap pulp
fiction magazines. Readers bought them for pennies and rarely
realized that they were reading great literature. And what
could be cheaper and more pulp fiction than broadcast
television, on the FOX network, no less?

And yet.

"Dollhouse" is great literature. Besides, it's funny. I
don't think I'm ever going to stop laughing at Echo saying
to Alpha, "He's ten times the man you are...and you're
like...40 guys."  :-)