"Into the resultant breach, bold progressive liberals much step. Here are some
reasons:

    * The White House clearly stated its desire and ability to abandon the
Left. That leaves only progressive liberals standing up for the true interests
of the battered middle class, working poor, and disenfranchised.
    * BHO and his Chief of Staff are deathly afraid of repeating Clinton’s
failure to reform HC in the 90s despite the fact that conditions today are not
like those in the 90s. The lesson they failed to recognize was not that the WH
had to neutralize the health insurance/pharmaceutical industry by catering to
them; it was that they had to neutralize the health insurance/pharmaceutical
industry by pro-actively going over their heads directly to the American
people, who were primed by economic realities to accept social democratic
solutions to the unsustainable US health care model.
    * Progressive liberals have no obligation to march in lock step with the
Democratic Party; we do have the right to use the Democratic Party as a vehicle
to achieve our ends.
    * Alliances with "strange bedfellows" are force-multipliers; that is, they
allow us to affect outcomes we otherwise would not."

Read More:
http://seminal.firedoglake.com/diary/20867