<snip>
> There is actually a scene in "Dances With Wolves"
> in which an Indian woman is helping Stands With
> A Fist comb her hair. Obviously, that is something
> she did regularly. Obviously, it didn't work for
> very long. Obviously, the Sioux women had zero
> problem with this.

"Hey, Kevin, you know, it really looks kind of strange
for Mary's hair to be so unkempt when all the Indian
women wear theirs neatly in braids or tied back,
especially when her character is supposedly so loyal to
the tribe."

"Well, I was thinking that her hair reflected how she'd
lost the veneer of civilization because she was brought
up by Indians."

"You mean, that she'd become wild and savage just
like them?"

"Er...I see what you mean. Hadn't thought of it that
way. But we've shot too many scenes now to do them
over. Wait, I have an idea. In the scene we're about
to shoot where she's preparing for her wedding, we'll
just have one of the Indian women helping her comb
her hair. That way, if anybody accuses us of racism,
we'll point to that scene to show she's making a stab
at good grooming, and that the Indians don't hold her
hair against her. That ought to work. Whaddya think?"

"Well...for CYA purposes, maybe."

"Great, glad you agree. Appreciate your bringing this
to my attention. Say, Mary..."