TurquoiseB wrote:
> No copies of the last episode "Epitaph Two: Return"
> have showed up on the torrent trackers or any of
> the streaming sites, so I checked the IMDB again and
> the "play date" seems to have been shifted back a
> week to next Friday. Sigh.
>
> So, to amuse myself while waiting for the last epi-
> sode, I'll dash off a quick review of the series as
> a whole. This assumes that the final episode is as
> good as the previous ones, which I think is a fair
> assumption. Besides, this is just for fun...  :-)
>
> Overall, my assessment of "Dollhouse" the TV series is:
>
> 1. One of the best science fiction TV series or movies
> ever made. 26 hours of mind-stretching imagineering.
> Fuckin' brilliant.
>
> 2. Not everybody's cuppa tea.
>
> 3. I don't know yet.
>
> Re Door Number One above, I think that "Dollhouse"
> stands easily alongside "Firefly/Serenity," but also
> easily alongside the masterpieces of SciFiCinema. I
> am SO grateful that FOX -- money-grubbing, clueless
> bastards that they are -- gave Joss the opportunity
> (and the money) to finish the series (to some extent).
> I honestly believe that in future years it will be
> seen as incredibly visionary and incredibly masterful.
>
> Door Number Two has to do with the fact that "Dollhouse"
> pushes buttons. It deals with issues like sex and ethics
> and sex and the abuse of technology and sex and What Is
> Identity? and sex and Who The Fuck Am I, Anyway? and sex.
> These are not comfortable subjects for many, many people.
>
> Door Number Three is really why I think it's cool. There
> are episodes of "Dollhouse" that I have seen seven times
> now. I've *studied* them, the way a scholar would, to
> try to figure out why they knocked my socks off. And you
> know what? Not only did they not get "old" with subse-
> quent re-viewings, they got better. So I expect them
> to get better in the future as well, and thus to learn
> even more from them.
>
> If you've got 26 hours of the incarnation to invest, you
> could do a lot worse than to invest them in "Dollhouse."

First off, I liked "Thirst" which is a fine dark comedy.  Great
recommendation.  Everything about the film was superb especially the
direction, editing and cinematography.   I was thinking of how Hollywood
would ruin this in a remake but then was reminded of my favorite vampire
comedy "The Vampire's Kiss" with Nicholas Cage running down the streets
of New York screaming "I'm a vampire!" and nobody noticing him.  Perhaps
"Thirst" was a little bit inspired by that movie (and maybe a little by
Charlene Harris).

"Dollhouse" was pre-empted by the Haiti telethon that ran on all the
networks.  It will finish up next Friday.

I have my own spoof on "Dollhouse" called "Dullhorse" about a Hollywood
producer, James Dullhorse, who keeps searching for a muse to get his
lagging TV series off the ground and all he can find is beings imprinted
as false muses that make his situation worse.  His series is about a
South American dictator, "Paco Lipz", who threatens the world with
destruction.

Actually I think you would like Neveldine and Taylor's films so if you
come across "Gamer" you might want to check it out if for anything to
see "Dexter" with a southern accent and sniffing quirk not to mention
Amber Valletta.   And you would probably like "Crank" and "Crank 2" for
similar irreverence (right up your alley).