> Have you ever noticed how some people feel the need
> (nay, not just the "need" but the *compulsion*) to
> hang onto and "defend" beliefs they have invested
> in for years, or decades? It doesn't even seem to
> matter whether they *know* that the belief is on
> the slippery slide to being exposed as the idiocy
> it always was, they hang onto it anyway.
>
> Tonight I am relating this insight to a an old
> English music hall song, and to a quote attributed
> to some rich-ass guy whose name I can't remember:
> "I made my money in the stock market by always
> selling too early."
>
> Interesting quote, this. The speaker (whoever it
> was) is *admitting* that he'd made a bad choice,
> and backed a losing proposition.

Not necessarily.

For example, let's take Google stock.  I think everyone would agree it's a
good, solid money-making company.  Today's price for a share of Google is about
$535.00.  But in October of 2007 it was well over $700.00 and by November of
2008 had fallen below $300.00.

But what if you had bought Google in August of 2004 when it was under $100?
And then sold it in September of 2007 when it was $567.00?  Sure, you would
have sold it too early because it eventually went up to over $700.00 but you
avoided the crash of the stock to when it went below $300.00

So I think it's a great quote you reproduced but I read it entirely differently
than you did. And I think the axiom holds true: people make money in the stock
market by NOT waiting until the stock eventually and inevitably goes into its
bear phase and selling while there is still a profit to be made...even though
it was "too early" because he didn't sell at the peak.