> What Ii already said: I'm sorry that what I did angered you and hurt
> you.

That looks good on the surface, but still sounds a bit as if Rick
would be taking undue responsibility or blame for how his friend is
feeling. How about, "I am sorry you feel angered and hurt by what I
did?" That sounds more accurate to me. But what if Rick *doesn't*
happen to be feeling sorry? Do you want him to lie?

> Rick could then leave the door open for future friendship ornot as
he
> chooses, but his friend was angry and hurting and Rick dismissed it
up-
> front, IMHO.

Yes, I see what you mean, but IMHO Rick did absolutely nothing to
apologize for. Since when is speaking your own Truth a crime? What
kind of friend would want Rick to lie?

If Rick's friend calms down, and looks beyond Rick's own
> one-upmanship, kudos to Rick's friend, but Rick's reaction sure
wasn't
> friendship-based, IMHO.

I believe I see where you are coming from, but we will have to agree
to disagree :-)