> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "ShempMcGurk" <shempmcgurk@> wrote:
> >
> > About a year or so ago we had a discussion over Obama's
> > comments during his campaign to become the presidential
> > nominee of the Democratic Party in which he said that
> > once he was president that he'd overturn laws he deemed
> > unconstitutional (a big gaffe because any high school
> > student can tell you that presidents can't do that; only
> > the courts can).
>
> We've been through this before, Shemp. You haven't got
> a leg to stand on with this.

Not if you're going to rewrite the English language, Judy.

> Here's what he was quoted as saying:
>
> "I would call my attorney general in and review every
> single executive order issued by George Bush and
> overturn those laws--or executive decisions that I feel
> violate the constitution."
>
> "Laws" was obviously a slip of the tongue, which he
> instantly corrected. He was talking about reviewing
> executive orders, which *can* be reversed by the
> president.

"Laws" may very well have been a slip of the tongue, Judy, as we discussed a
hundred times, but saying right after it "or executive decisions" is NOT I
repeat NOT "instantly correcting" it, as you well know.

"Instantly correcting" it would have been saying something to the effect "I
meant to say 'executive orders' " which he did NOT say.

The English language is the English language.  Give Obama a little respect for
knowing the English language.

> > Anyway, at the time you wrote something like: yeah, he
> > said the same thing when he was in Fairfield.
> >
> > Well, I think I've found on youtube what you were
> > referring to.
>
> No, Rick was tellling us what Obama had said in response
> to a question *he* asked Obama, not that Dennis Raimondi
> asked Obama.
>
> > Although he doesn't say it as explicity as the gaffe he
> > made in Denver,
>
> It wasn't even a gaffe.

Huh?

Just above you said it was a "slip of the tongue".  Is not a slip of the tongue
a "gaffe"?

> > you can sort of interpret it as the same
> > thing (the discussion starts at about 2:20):
>
> No, you can't "sort of interpret it" as saying he
> himself was going to repeal laws, sorry.
>
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlPzmyX6sOc
> >
> > Is this what you were referring to?
>
> Here's what Rick said:
>
> "That's almost verbatim the answer he gave to me in
> Fairfield when I asked him about impeaching Bush/
> Cheney and repairing the constitutional damage they
> had done."

If that's the case, then Obama would have said -- almost verbatim -- that he
would reverse laws or executive decisions.

Please don't reinterpret the English language, Judy.