Elias Hicks, A call to Group Meditation:

"Peace, be still." This command and requisition was made upon a former,
occasion; and I apprehend it will apply fully to us. I believe there can be no
occasion to demand it more than the present one. The comfort and improvement of
this large assembly depends principally upon it. Therefore, it becomes our duty
individually, to labour to be still. And, in the first place, we are to still
our bodies. This is a work that seems in a degree to be comprehended in our
power as men and creatures; hence this is the first step. For we must always do
what we can, rightly and justly; for it is by this right labour, and industry,
that there is something to receive the divine blessing upon.

But this is not enough, my friends,--we must endeavour to have our minds still.
And here is a much greater work, which it is beyond the power of man to effect
of himself. And this shows us the necessity of individually endeavouring to get
our bodies still, that so we may retire to that fountain of strength, which
only can enable us to experience our minds to be brought into stillness--into
silent prostration before the King of heaven. And we are not to stop here
neither, my friends. There is that "little member," that no man," the apostle
says, "has tamed;" although men may have tamed all the brute creation--and that
is the tongue. It is a little member; but, as he says, "it is an unruly evil,
full of deadly poison." It is like a fire, "and it is set on fire of hell." Now
there is nothing that can enable us to keep this quiet and silent, but as we
bow in perfect submission to the divine will, to time manifestation of the
grace of God in our own souls; and without this, we cannot use it in a proper
manner. "Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men,
which are made after the similitude of God." And we know, that it does happen
among the children of men, that they usurp, as it were, the throne of God, and
impeach their fellow Creatures and give sentence upon them; and, as far as the
tongue can do it, send them down to the bottomless pit of perdition. "My
brethren, these things ought not so to be." And it is an evidence to us what
state we must come to experience, before we can effect the great purpose for
which we are assembled together this morning; which is no less, I apprehend, as
to time general motive, than to present ourselves before time Almighty Creator
of the universe, the giver of every good and perfect gift, and to wait on him,
and worship him in spirit and in truth.

But none can worship him, till all these unruly passions, all these
disturbances and troubles, that naturally attend men and women in their natural
state, are all brought down into entire subjection to the divine will, and
until there is a complete sense of his greatness, and of our nothingness. Here
it is, that we are brought into a condition to learn of him. For what will it
avail any of us, to come and sit down thus together, to be led, and guided, and
instructed in the way of salvation, if we do not gather into a state, whereby
and wherein we calm be instructed--into a situation in which we can hear what
the Spirit saith unto the churches? And it is my earnest desire, that we may
individually labour after this stillness; for this is the travail that ought
always to attend our minds when thus assembled together. This leads to an
experience and evidence in ourselves, of the mighty power of God, and of our
own complete insufficiency to do any good thing. For we must come to this
evidence before we can serve him aright; and before we can walk in the way
which he has cast up for the ransomed and redeemed to walk in--a blessed way.
We must come into this condition, in order to learn our duty, not only to God
our creator, but to man our fellow creature. This will open to us all that we
are to do, and instruct us in the way in which we can answer the great end of
our creation, and we shall always be ready to glorify God and enjoy him.
-Elias Hicks, 1827