authfriend wrote:
> Segment from a 1967 TV documentary about hippies narrated
> by Harry Reasoner. Included is an interview with the very
> young Grateful Dead and an excerpt from their live free
> performance in the park of "Dancin' in the Streets":
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zHmi9y-KLo
>
> Reasoner's verdict: "Style without content." He did get
> the positive aspects of the hippie worldview; he just
> didn't think they amounted to much. And he may have been
> right.

Interesting.  That was the year they dropped by my band house (a
dilapidated three story mansion with a great view of Seattle).  Jerry
told me we should throw parties there but we were low key and didn't
want to do any such thing.  I notice his attitude about living simply is
pretty much what the millennials embrace today and I think a smart
idea.  I'm wondering if that band was run communally or like more like a
business.  The difference being that with the communal model nobody got
paid anything maybe other than a spending stipend and the money went
into maintaining the house, transportation and food.  When I was the
leader of my group it was run like any band and the members got paid.
We shared the rent on the house.  Later when we got a personal manager
he ran it more communal which was not to my liking.