Vaj wrote:
> On May 24, 2010, at 6:00 PM, Bhairitu wrote:
>

>> Vaj wrote:

>>> I suspect with Lynch his inner, subjective world is just the type of
>>> weird inner world that creates quirky, catchy, out-of-the-ordinary
>>> films which people like precisely because of that quirkiness. At the
>>> same time, his inner life is so odd, it disconnects him from others.
>>> TM was something he found that would let him connect to others and
>>> still share a part of his inner life.
>>>
>> A Seattle artist friend also attended the Philadelphia Art Institute and
>> my impression is that school really brought out the individuality of the
>> artist more so than maybe other schools.  I've also heard the story from
>> a friend of Lynch's that was attending that school with him and it was
>> just a case of him taking in a TM lecture at the time which lots of
>> people were doing.  He stayed with it while others may have dropped it
>> or changed paths later on.
>>

> I think Dr. Pete "nailed it" on another list when he described Mr. Lynch as
> "Mr. Asperger's".
>
> While not meant to disparaging, it does seem factually correct and apropos.
> Of course the upside is that someone, anyone, can leverage their
> circumstances towards something of benefit to others. Perhaps some shanti
> mantra is what helped him? That's still a bad excuse for being unable to
> discriminate between a toxic org (e.g. the TMO) and one which is generally
> beneficial to humans.
>
> I'm still taken aback by Eraserhead, the most karmically leaden movie in
> history. I literally had to stop watching it at night, and only finished it
> at high noon the following day. It truly embodies another realm.

I think I may have Eraserhead on Laserdisc somewhere.

Generally creative folks are right brained.  Left brained folks are more
rule based and not very creative.  Sometimes creative folks get so right
brained they never finish anything so need to ground out a bit to finish
something.  Balance is the key.  I suspect most right brained folks
would appear crazy to the left brained analytical types.  Left brained
analytical types appear rigid and almost psychopathic to the right
brained folks.

My question the other day was a loaded one.  Willy didn't know how to
answer my retort when he asked why my hand wasn't up and I asked "for
the same reason yours isn't up?"  According to a friend to is a psych
prof you may not want to be considered "sane" because in many academic
circles "sane" means the "norm."  I don't know about you but I sure
don't want to be the "norm."  Back in the 1970s Maslow's
"Self-actualized man" was considered the definition of "sane" but that
meant that the majority of the public was insane (probably true too).  I
sure recall news articles back then claiming the majority of the public
was not sane.  That's probably why they made the "norm" the new definition.

Now I should ask how many here have had "psychotic breaks" or what used
to be called "nervous breakdowns" and there is even a newer more PC term
for it too which I don't recall.  Those that have had them may look at
those who "believe" they are sane as fools because unless you've had the
experience you may not know what sanity really is.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: