> > I was thinking Robert Rodriguez, director of
>
> Never heard of him.

A very interesting filmmaker.  I like him a lot.

> > El Mariachi,
>
> Never heard of it.

Rodriguez's first released film, made on a budget
of $7000, which he earned by selling his body to
science.  Really.  He had himself checked in to a
hospital for six months while they shot him full of
experimental drugs.

El Mariachi was never supposed to be shown in
theaters; it was destined for the Mexican straight-
to-video market, to make some money so he could
make a "real" movie.  Someone entered it at Sundance.
It won the audience prize and a career was launched.

> > Desperado,
>
> Never heard of it.

Big-budget sequel of El Mariachi, this time with a
big budget and stars who weren't big then but who
are now, like Antonio Banderas and Salma Hayek.
Great flick.

 > > From Dusk Till Dawn,
>
> Never heard of it.

Even bigger-budget Rodriguez movie of a Tarantino
script, with Tarantino playing one of the leads, opposite
George Clooney and Harvey Keitel.

> > the Spy Kids movies,
>
> Vaguely remember some ads on TV for them.

Rodriguez is a Hispanic American brought up in
Austin, Texas who doesn't drink, doesn't smoke,
doesn't do drugs, and who has been married to
the same woman since (I think) high school, with
whom he has a few kids.  Rodriguez makes violent
movies, sometimes mega-violent movies.  So when
his kids got big enough to ask, "When can we see
one of your movies, Daddy?" he had to realize that
they were a bit too much for them.  So he put together
the Spy Kids trilogy, which presented cool movies
that kids actually enjoyed watching, and made him
a bundle.

> > and Sin City.  :-)
>
> Heard of it. Never saw it.

Best film of 2005 so far.

You really don't want to get me talking about Robert
Rodriguez.  I think he's a cool guy.

 > Ok, so I'm the *one* ru in town who's not a movie buff. Although, a
> while back, some dialog on FFL did inspire me to see American Beauty,
> and I quite liked it.

Tremendous film.  I used to own the script, because I wanted
to see whether it was primarily a "director movie" or a "screen-
writer movie."  It was a screenwriter movie.  Everything was
there in Alan Ball's script.  The only thing the director had to
do was to cut a few scenes short.

Unc