--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Archer" <r...@...> wrote:

> I forwarded this to a conservative friend who lives in Santa Monica.

Conservatives, though mostly genuinely good people like anyone else are
sometimes beyond reaching on political issues, as you and I both well
know, Rick.

Here
> was his response:
>
> Sounds great.  So why are there no jobs, except fake government jobs
(census
> workers counted over and over)?

That's false:  According to the article the gain in *job openings*...

"Private employers accounted for the entire net gain."

"The biggest increases in available jobs were
in professional and business services, leisure
and hospitality and education and health services.
Government job openings fell by 36,000."
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, here is  the job loss
turnaround since Obama took office:

  [pelosichart]
<http://theplumline.whorunsgov.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/pelosichar\
t.JPG>
Link to graph [click to enlarge]:
http://theplumline.whorunsgov.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/pelosichart\
.JPG

> 10% unemployment and highest in history for
> 18-24 your olds?  The real employment is nearly 20% according the
CNBC.

Why
> are we sliding back into no growth?  Why is Europe having zero growth
> (0.2%)?  Do you call the "out of recession?"  Well, I guess you could.
Why
> do 75% of the people think we're on the wrong track?  I guess they're
just
> stupid conservatives and hicks.  I could go on, but why should I?
>You are
> somehow not living in the real world.  Over here on Montana Avenue, a
local
> shopping district near where we live, 30% of the stores have gone out
of
> business in the past two years.  Businesses are not hiring and not
buying
> equipment.  You seem to be the only person I hear from or talk to that
> thinks things are great.  I have many liberal friends out here, most
people
> are, who think things stink and getting worse.  The country is deeply
in
> debt and rising rapidly.  Half the homes are under water.  We're
heading
> toward higher taxes, more regulations and sluggish growth at best.
Within a
> few short years at the rate we're going the national debt will top 20
> trillion and the interest will be equal to GDP.  Almost all tax money
will
> just go to pay the interest on the national debt.  Sounds great.  Full
steam
> ahead.  And don't pay any attention to that big ice berg.
>
> I was wondering if Bush were President if you would be straining so
hard to
> see silver linings in such a dismal situation.  I think not.  Bush
sucked
> but Obama is 100 times worse.  I honestly think he's trying to cause a
> collapse of the whole economy.  Either that or he's totally befuddled
about
> what to do to fix the economy.  Why do they keep trying things that
have
> proven to be bad while at the same time ignoring things that have in
the
> past proven to work?
>
> ----------------
>
> Any effective rebuttal to this?

Let's see.

The recession started in December of 2007.

The financial meltdown occurred in September 2008.

Obama took office in January of 2009.

Yeah. It's now going to take a colossal effort to clean up
the catastrophic financial disaster that Obama inherited.

The following articles are from since Obama took office:

~~U.S. Enters Recovery as Stimulus Refutes Skeptics~~
Bloomberg:
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=a7iQTrYFwTtY

~~U.S. Economy Gets Lift From Stimulus~~
Wall Street Journal:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125185379218478087.html

~~Germany, France out of recession~~
Guardian [UK]:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/aug/13/germany-france-emerge-rec\
ession

~~Japan Steps out of Recession~~
BBC:

~~UK Officially Out of Recession~~
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/sep/08/uk-factory-output-recessi\
on-recovery

~~Across the nation, housing starts are rising~~
Journal Sentinal: http://www.jsonline.com/business/53623677.html

~~Retail sales rose at the swiftest rate in three years in August~~
http://www.forbes.com/2009/09/15/briefing-americas-open-markets-equities\
-retail.html

~~U.S. household wealth up for first time since 2007~~
http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUSN1730000520090917

~~US leading economic index up for fifth month in a row~~
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090921/ts_alt_afp/useconomygrowthindex

~~Obama loan relief plan hits goal early ~~
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gOGPH5tuY5PvE2_kbh0FBQ\
PiqnUQD9B6V5IO3

~~Obama's mortgage relief program growing ~~
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090909/ap_on_re_us/us_foreclosure_aid

~~Dow passes 10,000 mark on earnings optimism~~first time in a year
http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSTRE5881Q720091014

~~GDP Grew 3.2 percent as Stimulus Took Hold: U.S. Economy Preview~~
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aDGvmWmB18w0

~~Jobs outlook brightens - National Association for Business Economics
says more U.S. firms are planning to hire and increase investment in
the next six months~~~
http://money.cnn.com/2009/10/26/news/economy/NABE/?postversion=200910261\
2

~~U.S. Goods Orders Rise for Fourth Time in Six Months ~~
Orders for U.S. durable goods rose in September for the fourth time in
the past six months, a sign factories are helping ring in an economic
recovery.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601068&sid=aXTOqhc6Ac4I

~~Durable-Goods Orders Tick Up~~
Orders climbed for long-lasting goods during September, the fourth
increase in six months, while a key gauge of capital spending rose
strongly, a favorable sign for U.S. manufacturing.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125673286433612857.html

~~USA Today: Stimulus working, having "significant impact on
economy"~~
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-10-27-jobs_N.htm

~~ Economy grows in 3Q, signals end of recession~~
http://csbj.com/2009/10/29/economy-grows-in-3q-signals-end-of-recession/

~~Productivity at 6-year high, jobless claims fall~~
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/05/AR200911\
0501639.html

~~US leading indicators up for seventh month in row~~
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20091119/ts_alt_afp/useconomygrowthindex

~~New Consensus Sees Stimulus Package as Worthy Step~~
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/21/business/economy/21stimulus.html?_r=1&\
hp

~~US Economy: Existing Home Sales Jump 10% as Prices Decline~~
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601068&sid=amzSIrwi9.9k

~~Unemployment dropped to 10.0% in November~~
U.S. employers cut a far fewer-than-expected 11,000 jobs in November,
the smallest decline since the start of the recession in December
2007, government data showed on Friday, strongly suggesting the
deterioration in the labor market was in its final stages.
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE5AT4N720091204

~~Recovery lifting labor market out of worst slump in post-World War
II era~~
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601068&sid=aCLBmnGq2pPM

~~November housing construction up 8.9 percent~~
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091216/ap_on_bi_go_ec_fi/us_housing_starts

~~Nat'l Association of Realtors: Home sales up 44 percent from a year
ago~~
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/22/AR200912\
2203347.html

~~US Jobless Claims Drop to Lowest Level Since 2008~~
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aEKR_k1fXbgM&pos=1

New Year - 2010

~~US leading index suggests recovery gaining traction~~
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100121/pl_afp/useconomyindex

~~Obama stimulus reduced our pain, experts say~~
GDP Growth Chart:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4021/4306421129_13a7d3ce64.jpg
http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/2010-01-25-usa-today-economic-surv\
ey-obama-stimulus_N.htm

~~Economy soars 5.7 percent, fastest in 6 years~~
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN1416882220100129

~~US manufacturing heats up to 2004 high~~
The US manufacturing sector kicked off the year with gusto in January, a
private survey showed Monday, the sixth consecutive month of expansion
in the sector leading the economic recovery.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100201/bs_afp/useconomymanufacturingindexi\
sm

~~January unemployment rate drops to 9.7 percent~~
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100205/ap_on_bi_go_ec_fi/us_economy

~~Feb. 11 (Bloomberg) Jobless Claims in U.S. Decrease More Than
Anticipated~~
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=adZ.FUZ4BRZI&pos=2

~~Retail Sales in U.S. Unexpectedly Rose in February~~
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601068&sid=a6nG2AcaFnN0

~~US economy grew revised 5.9 percent in fourth quarter~~
WASHINGTON (AFP) – The US economy surged 5.9 percent in the fourth
quarter, stronger than previously estimated, revised government data
showed Friday in a report signaling positive momentum entering 2010.
The Commerce Department said the economy grew 0.2 percentage points more
than its initial estimate of a 5.7 percent annualized growth rate from
the third quarter.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100226/pl_afp/useconomygrowth

~~Consumer Credit in U.S. Rises for First Time in Year~~
The January gain in credit was the biggest since July 2008.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aEmoQRVrHtLg&pos=1

~~U.S. Labor Market Poised for Gains as Jobless Rate Stabilizes~~
http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-03-06/u-s-labor-market-poised-for-\
gains-as-jobless-rate-stabilizes.html

~~Obama Defies Pessimists as Rising Economy Converges With Stocks ~~
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=aeSenIUvpSK0#

~~Personal spending rose for a fifth straight month in February~~
http://money.cnn.com/2010/03/29/news/economy/personal_income_and_spendin\
g/

~~Obama Lauds Passage of Education Reform~~
Legislation to save $68 Billion instead of "padding student lenders'
profits"
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20001419-503544.html

~~Consumer Confidence in U.S. Improves on Job Prospects~~
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aQQZmxowraoA&pos=1

~~Private sector hiring lifts March payrolls~~
Reuters - U.S. employers created jobs in March at the fastest rate in
three years as private firms stepped up hiring, the strongest signal yet
that the economic recovery is on a solid footing and needs less
government help.
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN1715009520100402

~~Pending home sales rise 8.2 percent in February~~
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jljsJcu7uX4H65Rj0zDRmP\
QvMEQAD9ESUU9G0

~~Services index rises sharply in March~~
ISM non-manufacturing index hits 55.4%, above expectations
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ism-services-index-rises-sharply-in-mar\
ch-2010-04-05?reflink=MW_news_stmp

~~Business Week: Obama plan working~~
http://www.businessweek.com/print/magazine/content/10_16/b4174028669540.\
htm

~~Report: GM to pay off bailout loans early~~
http://detroitnews.com/article/20100420/AUTO01/4200366/GM-to-pay-off-$5.\
8B-bailout-loans-early#ixzz0lcyV1WNV

~~Gallup Tracking Shows Signs of Economic Improvement~~
Economy added 1.5 million new full-time jobs during the last month
http://www.gallup.com/poll/127469/Gallup-Tracking-Shows-Signs-Economic-I\
mprovement.aspx

~~Forecasters Upbeat about US Economy, Hiring: NABE~~
http://www.cnbc.com/id/36773352

~~USA TODAY Survey: Economists say recovery looks stronger than
expected~~
http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/2010-04-26-econsurvey26_ST_N.htm

~~Unemployment falls in a majority of US cities~~
WASHINGTON – Unemployment rates fell or remained level in
three-quarters of the 372 largest metropolitan areas, a sign that the
economic recovery is widespread.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100428/ap_on_bi_ge/us_metro_employment

~~CBS Poll: Public's View of the Economy is Improving~~
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20004000-503544.html

~~US Car Sales Climbed 20% in April~~
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142405274870434260457522213158338333\
8.html?mod=WSJ_Autos_AutoIndustry3

~~April Jobs report: Best gain in four years~~
http://money.cnn.com/2010/05/07/news/economy/jobs_april/index.htm?cnn=ye\
s&hpt=T3

~~2009 Saw Most Growth in Small Businesses in 14 Years~~
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/98807-record-growth-in-new-businesses

~~Construction Industry Adds Most Jobs Nationwide Since 2006~~
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-building-jobs-20100524,0,6881237.s\
tory

~~CBO says stimulus a bigger success than expected~~
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution: http://snipurl.com/wt6or

~~Job openings rise to highest level in 16 months~~
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100608/ap_on_bi_ge/us_job_openings