I was in Paris the last week, so didn't bother following the ongoing
soap opera "The World Inside My Head, And Why It's Better Than Yours."
Skimming through today, I see I didn't miss anything. Anyway, just for
fun, this is an article from AlterNet, where people can still think.
Let's see if anyone here on FFL except Hugo still can.  :-)
Do You Care Whether the Religious Ideas You Believe  in Are True or Not?
Here's what I'd like to say to people who are  less interested in what's
really true about the universe than they are  about their personal
interpretation of it.
June 19, 2010  |
By                                             Greta Christina
<http://www.alternet.org/authors/8504/>

What do you say to religious believers who don't care  about reality?
I don't mean people who unconsciously don't care about reality. I  don't
mean people who unconsciously resist or rationalize evidence when  it
contradicts the things they believe. I get that. That's universally
human
<http://gretachristina.typepad.com/greta_christinas_weblog/2008/01/mista\
kes-were-1.html> . Everybody does that. Atheists, believers --
everybody. Me  and you, and everyone we know.

I'm talking about people who consciously, intellectually state that
they're less interested in what's really true about the universe than
they are about their personal interpretation of it. People who
consciously, intellectually state that reality can't be completely
understood, and therefore all interpretations of it are equally valid.
People who consciously, intellectually state that it's less important to
understand reality than it is to not offend people by pointing out that
their beliefs are inconsistent with the evidence. People who
consciously, intellectually state that, even though there's powerful
evidence against the belief that (say) consciousness is animated by an
immaterial soul that survives death, or that life was shaped into being
by a loving God, or what have you... it's still reasonable for them to
hold those beliefs. People who consciously, intellectually state that,
when it comes right down to it, they don't care whether the things they
believe are true.

And who firmly defend that position.

What do you say to them?

As an atheist writer, I've been having this weird series of
conversations about religion with believers who take this position. Some
of them take it in a very hard-line relativist way; they insist there's
no reality other than the one we create in our minds. Or they insist
that, even though there probably is an external reality, there's no way
to truly understand it... so it's completely reasonable to live in the
world as we create it in our heads, and to interpret reality in whatever
way gives us comfort and pleasure. Regardless of whether that
interpretation jibes with, you know, evidence about how reality works.

Others are more slippery about this position. They'll state their
religious beliefs... and then, when challenged to provide some evidence
supporting those beliefs, they'll say something like, "That's just what
I  believe. None of us can prove for 100 percent certain whether our
beliefs are right. We all choose what to believe. So what's the point in
debating who's right?"

I'll be honest: I find it very hard to argue against this position.
Mostly because I find it so utterly baffling. The idea that reality
matters? The idea that we ought to care whether the things we believe
are true? To me, this is close  to a fundamental axiom
<http://gretachristina.typepad.com/greta_christinas_weblog/2009/11/carin\
g-about-reality.html> . And when people say they don't care about  that,
it leaves my jaw hanging in dumbfounded silence.

But that makes it a topic worth getting into. I like questioning my
fundamental axioms. So, why should we care whether the things we believe
are true?

Why should we treat the external, objective reality of the universe  as
more important than the internal, subjective reality of our personal
experience?

Why is the universe more important than me?

Perspective as a Moral Obligation

Well, for starters: The universe is about 13.73 billion years old,  and
it's about 93 billion light years across. I am 48 years old, and I'm
five foot three. Not to be ageist or a size queen... but really. When I
look at those numbers, do I honestly have to ask why the universe is
more important -- and more interesting -- than the inside of my head? Or
of anybody's head?

I'm not saying the insides of people's heads aren't important or
interesting. Of course they are. They're what make art interesting, and
literature, and so on. And they're what make psychology and
neuropsychology interesting as well. The insides of people's heads are
fascinating. And they matter.

But the world inside a person's head is just one tiny fragment of the
vast, ancient, wildly freaky complexity of existence. Why would I give
that tiny fragment greater priority than the vast, freaky complexity?
Even if the head that this tiny fragment is inside happens to be my own?
To me, that seems like the absolute height of arrogance.

In fact, I'd argue that it's more than just arrogant, it borders on
unethical. Understanding that our own experience is not the only one?
That other people matter to themselves as much as we do to ourselves?
That none of us has a pipeline to truth? Understanding that we are not
the most important being in the universe; having the ability to view
life from an outside perspective, and acknowledge that we don't,
cosmically speaking, matter more than anyone else? That is the core  of
human ethics
<http://www.alternet.org/belief/146930/get_a_brain%2C_morons%3A_why_bein\
g_liberal_really_is_better_than_being_conservative/?page=entire> .

To argue that our personal view of reality is every bit as important  as
reality itself? To insist that it's valid to frame reality any way we
like, without regard to the actual evidence about it? It's placing
ourselves at the center of the cosmos. It's saying that our personal
experience really is the most important one. It's defending the
validity of being out of touch, of living inside our heads.

Perspective is more than an intellectual discipline. It's a moral
obligation. The willingness to step back from our experience, to examine
our beliefs about the world and let go of them when the evidence
contradicts them, is a huge part of how we gain the humility we need to
see our true place in the world. Caring whether the things we believe
are true is a crucial part of caring, period.

Garbage In, Garbage Out

This isn't just about philosophy, though. It isn't even just about  the
vital branch of philosophy known as ethics. There are purely  pragmatic
reasons for caring whether the things we believe matter.

We need to understand reality, so we know how to behave in it.

If we believe things about reality that aren't true, we're going to
make bad decisions. If we believe that we failed our English test
because our teacher has it in for us, we're not going to study harder
for our next test. If we believe that we keep getting stomach-aches
because we hate our job, we're not going to quit having Doritos and Red
Bull for breakfast. If we believe that we can turn on the TV by hitting
it with a rock, we're going to miss "America's Best Dance Crew." It's
like data processors say: Garbage in, garbage out.

And this applies to religious and spiritual beliefs as well. If we
believe that we failed our English test because Mercury was in
retrograde, or that our stomachaches are God's punishment for thinking
impure thoughts about Lady Gaga... we're still not going to study or
knock off the Doritos.

Understanding reality is how we know how to behave in it.  Understanding
cause and effect, which causes lead to what effects, is  how we make
better decisions -- decisions that are more likely to lead  to outcomes
we're hoping for.

And if we're going to understand reality, we have to care whether the
things we believe are true. We can tell ourselves that we create our
own reality until we're blue in the face... but if we don't create our
personal reality based on the best possible understanding of the larger
reality around us, if we don't create our personal reality by eating a
healthy diet and doing our English homework and so on, reality is going
to bite us in the ass.

Of course there are some very pragmatic, nuts-and-bolts ways that our
beliefs about reality affect reality. Being optimistic can help us see
more opportunities; being good to people draws other good people to us;
etc. But there's nothing magical about that. It's just human psychology.
Based, I'd like to point out, on observable cause and effect. Exactly
the kind of reality I think people should care about.

What's more, if we care about reality, we have to apply reasonable
standards of probability and plausibility to it. When faced with solid
evidence strongly suggesting that our beliefs almost certainly aren't
true, we can't tell ourselves, "Well, my belief can't be absolutely
disproven with 100 percent certainty -- therefore it's reasonable to
keep believing it." We can't tell ourselves that hitting the TV with a
rock might turn it on this time, we can't be absolutely sure that  it
won't, it's hypothetically possible. Not if we want to watch TV.

Now, when pressed with these kinds of questions, many of these "We
create our own reality and don't have to care if our beliefs are true"
believers will agree. They'll say that, when it comes to petty, mundane,
physical matters, of course they understand cause and effect, and want
to understand it better so they can create good consequences and avoid
bad ones. When they're on the twentieth floor of a building, they don't
exit that building by jumping out the window. They don't act on the
principle that they can create their own reality and gently float down
from the window to the sidewalk. They believe in reality, in physical
cause and effect... enough to take the elevator. When it comes to
practical matters, of course they care whether the things they believe
are true. It's just the grand metaphysical issues, the issues where
cause and effect isn't blindingly obvious, the issues of God and the
soul and eternal consciousness and whatnot... that's where they feel
they can make up any interpretation of reality that makes them happy.

Yeah. See, here's the problem with that.

It's not so easy to believe whatever you find comforting in some
cases... and then question, or challenge, or let go of your beliefs in
others.

Skepticism is a discipline. It does not come naturally to the human
mind. The human mind is wired to believe  what it already believes, and
what it wants to believe
<http://gretachristina.typepad.com/greta_christinas_weblog/2008/01/mista\
kes-were-1.html> . The habit  of questioning whether the things we
believe are true -- and letting go  of beliefs we're attached to when
the evidence contradicts them -- takes  practice.

I know that in my own life, when I still had New Age woo beliefs --  and
my "we make our own reality" rationalization of them -- I was much  more
prone to hanging onto other, non-spiritual beliefs I was attached  to.
And I was much more prone to attaching myself to beliefs in the  first
place if I found them comforting or easy. My belief that I could  make
things work with my loser boyfriend; my belief that there was no
connection between my weight and my health; my belief that if I ignored
my student loans for long enough the university would give up and go
away... all these were much easier to fall into, because I was so
practiced at convincing myself that it was reasonable to believe pretty
much whatever I wanted.

What's more, my spiritual beliefs were very slippery. (A phenomenon
I've noticed in many other believers
<http://gretachristina.typepad.com/greta_christinas_weblog/2009/10/when-\
anyone-is-watching.html> .) When confronted with strong  evidence that
contradicted my beliefs, I'd pull out the "this may not be  literally
true but it works for me" line. But when I was alone, or with  others
who shared my beliefs? I bloody well believed those things.  Entirely
and literally. And again, that slipperiness -- that willingness  to
slide back and forth between wishful thinking and critical thought,
depending on convenience and who was watching and how attached I was to
the ideas -- slopped into the practical areas of my life. Often with
truly  lousy consequences
<http://gretachristina.typepad.com/greta_christinas_weblog/2008/01/when-\
i-write-ab.html> .

But after I started applying skepticism to religion, and eventually  let
go of my spiritual beliefs, I became much better at critical  thinking.
In all areas of my life. Politics, relationships, money,  health --
everything. I became much better at asking, "What's the  evidence for
this? Is this consistent with what we know about the world?  What are
the arguments for and against?"

This is often not easy. I'm human, with a human  tendency
<http://gretachristina.typepad.com/greta_christinas_weblog/2008/01/mista\
kes-were-1.html>  to believe what I already believe or what I want to
believe; and better critical thinking often means letting go of ideas
I'm very attached to. But the practice I had letting go of religion
makes this much easier, and much more natural. Again: Skepticism is a
discipline. It takes practice. And when we let ourselves believe
whatever the hell we like about God or the afterlife, it gets far too
easy to let ourselves believe whatever the hell we like about everything
else.

Which leads back to the question of ethics. When pressed to the wall  in
these debates, believers will often wind up saying things like, "Why  do
you care what I believe? Living in my self-created reality where God
loves me and I'm never going to die makes me happy. What difference does
it make to anyone else?" But rejecting evidence about reality doesn't
just affect ourselves. It means rejecting the reality of how our actions
affect other people. It means rejecting the realities of money, of sex,
of showing up to work on time, of foreign policy, of global warming...
in favor of stories we find familiar and comforting.

And I see that play out with religious believers, every day of my  life.

Liar, Liar, Pants On Fire

But beyond all that -- beyond my philosophical objections, my ethical
objections, even my pragmatic objections -- I have another, stronger,
far more serious objection to people who say they don't care if the
things they believe are true.

I don't believe them.

If you really don't care whether the things you believe are true...
then why are you defending those beliefs in an atheist's blog?

Why are you arguing so passionately, and at such great length, that
your solipsistic cultural relativism is a valid viewpoint? Why don't you
just shrug off my arguments for atheism and materialism, and go about
your merry way in your self-created reality? Why do you care what I
think?

Here's the thing. I think religious believers do care whether  the
things they believe are true. The ones who comment about their  beliefs
in atheists' blogs sure as heck do. I think they comment in  atheists'
blogs because they want validation for their beliefs. They  want
atheists to say, "No, your beliefs aren't like all those others,  those
other beliefs are crazy, but yours make sense." Or they want  atheists
to say, "Wow, I haven't heard that one before -- how  fascinating and
well thought out!"

It's only when that response isn't forthcoming that the cultural
relativism gets dragged out. It's only when atheists say, "Actually,
your belief isn't any more consistent with evidence or reason than
anyone else's," when we say, "Yes, I've heard that one before, about a
hundred times, it still doesn't hold up"... it's only then that
believers start insisting that they don't care about stupid old reality
anyway.

I think religious believers do care whether the things they believe  are
true. And they should. Caring about reality is a fundamental part of
what makes us human. Human beings are explorers. We're curious. We want
to find out what's behind that rock, that mountain, that ocean, that
galaxy. We want to find out what's inside that tree, that flower, that
cell, that atom.

And that curiosity is one of the best things about us. That curiosity
has led us to a greater understanding of the vast, ancient, wildly
freaky complexity of existence than we ever thought possible. That
curiosity is why we understand about galaxies, and continental drift,
and matter being mostly empty space, and everything that's alive being
related, and any number of compellingly fascinating, completely
counter-intuitive realities. What's more, that curiosity has led to
innumerable advances in the quality of human life. That curiosity is why
we understand that diseases are caused by germs and viruses and
genetics and so on, instead of evil spirits or imbalances in the bodily
humors. That curiosity is why we understand that we ought not to let raw
sewage run in the streets or in our drinking water. That curiosity is
why we can talk to each other on the Internet.
Curiosity about how reality works is one of the finest things about
humanity. We ought not to abandon it whenever it makes us uncomfortable
or forces us to let go of beliefs we're attached to. We ought to care
more about reality than we do about the stories we tell ourselves about
it. We ought to care, more than just about anything else, whether the
things we believe are true