> So what's YOUR definition of a "spiritual experience?"
>
> And even more interesting from my religious sociology point of
> view, what's your definition of an experience that *isn't* spiritual?

Yes, not every experience is spiritual in this context.
2 Great questions though.
Quite evidently spirituality (Self-awareness as spirituality) can be
cultivated;
As in, cultivating spirituality vs. debasing it in self-awareness.  The science
seems to confirm this too.  And likewise
you know it when you experience it.  The 'known unknowns'.  As you say, there
is lots written about cultivating vs.  debasing spiritual experience with lists
of discerned things that cultivate spirituality and those other things that
debase it in the human experience.  Hence, not everything is spiritual in this
context.  Darwin seems to have observed that too.  Some people are quicker
learners too.  I think Yogananda in that short quote from before does say it
good though, in my experience, as a way of evaluating particulars spiritually.

-Buck