> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Hugo" <fintlewoodlewix@> wrote:
> >
> > BTW, you remember the mansion they used as Wayne manor
> > in Batman begins:
> >
> > http://www.movie-locations.com/movies/b/batmanbegins.html
> >

> > That was the first TM academy I lived in. What a house!
> > 80 rooms, banqueting hall. No caves full of bats that I
> > noticed but it was a cool place to live.
> >
> > It even gets its own wiki page:
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mentmore_Towers
>
> That's neat.

It actually spoiled Batman begins for me, there I was in
the cinema transported to a futuristic Gotham city and
suddenly it switched scenes to Wayne manor and I was
right back in wet and windy Bedfordshire. I got over it
and enjoyed the movie though.

The only "TM movie location" I've ever been
> in was a castle-like retreat house in Toronto in which I
> taught numerous residence courses. It was used as Guru
> Pitka's headquarters in Mike Myers' "The Love Guru."
>
> However, another "TM hotel" almost was used in a movie.
> On my six-month Sidhis course in St. Moritz, a "location
> scout" came to look around the hotel we were staying in
> to see if it would be an appropriate set for an upcoming
> movie. The movie? Stanley Kubrick's "The Shining." How
> appropriate would that have been, eh?  :-)

Probably very, they could have filmed "one flew over the
cuckoo's nest" at Mentmore and saved a fortune in extras
(no snark, I'm including myself here.)

Kubrick filmed a lot of "Eyes Wide Shut" at Mentmore and
upset everyone by having someone reading the vedas over
the orgy scene. But he had actually re-filmed it somewhere
else that had rooms 10 foot larger. He was really disappointed
that he couldn't knock down any walls at Mentmore Towers.

Heard a weird story about that film, after Kubrick died his
family let a journalist look round his office where he kept
his movie notes etc. He found a huge box of photos of front
doors in London. Apparently Kubrick had a team of researchers
scour the city taking photos of posh looking doors for the
film. Then he had a replica made in the studio! Weird enough,
but it's only in the film for two seconds. Tom Cruise knocks
on it and it opens. That's it. Must have taken weeks, there's
perfectionism for you!