I meant to include this e-mail  from Ned Wynn, possibly his best. (Again,
here's a guy in a position to know....someone who was literally, as the
expression was in those days "on the door"):

Sat, 31 Aug 2002 20:50:43 -0700
From: "Ned Wynn"
Subject: Re: E-mail and its power Casey,

I agree, basically, with the thrust of Rob's message. Maharishi broke the
sacred trust, the rule that bonds guru and disciple. Perhaps this was
intentional (to make us leave), but either way, if it was intentional then the
result is the same: break away, if not, break away. In the teleological sense,
breaking away is required. Forgiveness, I think, is the choice of the
individual, it is not a given. I don't feel the need to forgive MMY because I
harbor no grudge against him. In a sense, I believe MMY's transgressions are
actually against the Spirit, not against me or you. The disciples are the
Spirit because they approach the guru in innocence and trust, just as the
Spirit makes itself available to all who seek it, without partisanship. Rich,
poor, old, young, male, female, black, white, the Spirit is open to all who
seek it. The disciples, in the Hindu tradition, make themselves available to
the guru to refine them and make them whole (holy). The guru welcomes the
disciple and cares for him because the disciple brings the guru the greatest of
gifts, love and obedience. By accepting the disciple the guru brings himself
into contact with the Spirit. It is of tremendous spiritual import to the guru
to have disciples. They are not petitioners, they are partners in the Spirit
(as Christ said to his disciples, "I call you friends.") Christ even washed his
disciples' feet. The guru is the Servant. He must be truly humble. If he lies
and cheats, then he is violating an essential spiritual law. If he says he is
Brahmachari and he is not, he transgresses a sacred boundary.

Maharishi needs to make amends. He needs to take to heart the lesson of
submission, of surrender. Amendment of life when we have sinned against the
Spirit is the greatest action we can take because it affirms our willingness to
bow to the Spirit and to do the will of God. Maharishi never makes amends. He
is arrogant and willful. I think it is completely reasonable for the disciple,
disappointed in the guru's sinfulness, to be angry with him. And it is
essential that the disciple, when he encounters a willfully disobedient guru,
to leave that guru. If, later in life, the disciple comes to the conclusion
that the guru was misguided (if, as you say, infested with a demon, or, as I
think, compounded in his sin by ego and self-love), then the disciple may
forgive the guru. But MMY continues in his sins, he wallows in his
transgressions, and thus he has lost the love and care of the holy men in his
own country. They know who he is. They warned him. But he thought he was above
the rest. This is a problem that MMY will have to solve. So far I see no
indication of anything in that direction. He remains grandiose, dictatorial,
and unrepentant. When I speak of repentance I know that Rob will think,
"Protestant Deist." But repentance is not foreign to Hinduism or Buddhism. It
merely means a return to our right relationship with God, a relationship of
complete surrender on our part and total Love on God's. Maharishi has no
humility, and I think in the end that is his downfall. Sex is just a trap that
is set to catch the arrogant and willful. Money, ditto. In and of themselves
they are nothing. But, taken in the context we're exploring, they are
indications of the unsuitability of Maharishi to be anyone's guru.

Ned