--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Sal Sunshine <salsunsh...@...> wrote:

> On Jul 25, 2010, at 10:09 AM, tartbrain wrote:
> > Starts with a classic photo of Marylin Monroe doing asanas in 1948.
> >
> > As sideways answer to Turq's (I was going to say back door -- but thought
> > Curtis's gunas might get whacked out of equillibrium) here are famous women
> > involved in yoga (promotion).
> >
> > "Arriving in Hollywood in 1947, Devi almost immediately enlisted Greta
> > Garbo, Gloria Swanson and Jennifer Jones, along with others who, as Syman
> > puts it, "were under constant pressure to look radiantly youthful."  Soon,
> > Marilyn Monroe was claiming that yoga improved her legs."
> >
> > [Also, in more direct answer to his question -- Joni Mitchell]
> >
> > Here is the article -- Interesting stuff.
>
> I've always found it interesting that while various people
> constantly try to convince others of the benefits of
> meditation, and how it supposedly does this or that,
> and how you "need" to do it, or else!~~
> nobody's had to do that with yoga.  It's not only
> made a big splash over here, but it's popularity
> continues to grow~~with nobody touting "scientific
> studies" (fake or any other kind) to try and convince
> the ignorant masses they need it.  Interesting,
> isn't it?
>
> Sal

I find asanas and pranayam good -- relaxing. And just sitting afterwards can
bring about a mantra-less sort of meditation. The relaxation, and perhaps
clearing of some physical circuits -- just cause one to let go, I find.

And I would think this happens over time to many who practice just asana and
pranayam. And / or the practice eventually brings them to other yogas --
mediation and all.

And Hatha yoga I think has changed the culture -- so many things that were
"esoteric" in the 60's are common place - soccer mom  talk today.

a small example. When I went to college I early on read Adelle Davis and really
got into nutrition. And while this was a good, on the cutting edge of research
type of university, there was no health food store in town -- and the
supermarkets were primarily crap. I had to drive 20 miles to a hippy type coop.

And it was like I was from Mars "you eat health foods???!!"  Now, the same
university town has a huge huge health food "super market" and a number of
smaller ones. Its part of the culture. And upscale hosts will without blinking
and buy pricey ingredients for entrees and side dishes at Whole Foods -- or
equivalent, its part of the gourmet scene -- fresh and healthy foods. And
organic gardening seems to be taking it to the next level. I run into lots of
ordinary people talking about their compost piles, growing as much as they can
them selves -- or buying locally.

I would think meditation will "soon" become just a natural thing people do --
not big thing. And extension of yoga -- something that immediately makes them
feel better. (of course I thought that 30 years ago -- but hey this time its
for real, right? (ha!).