I think the re-write started when the issue of "did he actually say he
was a celibate monk" began.  Once people started to parse on that, I'd
say their feet fell out from under them, and they started down the
slope.   It's a biggie to have to process.  Just defies any easy
resolution.

<curtisdeltabl...@...> wrote:

> ...the leader sets a new date and everyone resets their count-down
clocks!

> I am hearing a trend of divorcing Maharishi's claims for his practice
from our evaluation of the value of his system in some posts.
> Aren't we then re-writing the whole scriptural basis of this
philosophy when we divorce the inner state and the effect of virtue on
the ethics of a person? "By their fruits yee shall know them" and all?

> What we have is a classic case of the counterexample attempting to be
explained away as a non-counter-example to the claim. We are changing
the bullseye to fit where the arrow landed.

> The abstract idea of enlightenment divorced from making a person
better in some recognizable way either through science or our own
personal observation means that any flight of inner experience fancy
qualifies as the "goal." The words are too vague to be meaningful for
evaluation like hanging around people on acid.

> The connection between godliness or whatever you want to call it and
ethical virtue is an indisputable cornerstone of Maharishi's teaching
and I would say of most religious systems. I think the direction of this
conversation is in the Charlie Manson direction of "If God is one, what
is right or wrong?"

> Again this is counter to the whole premise of scientifically verified
benefits of TM. You are making an appeal of not evaluating the broad
claims of the system against the evidence. When was that a good policy?