--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, tartbrain <no_re...@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajradhatu@> wrote:

> > > OK Lucy. I will fall for the bait a second time. What are these seven
> > > states and the two 7-stage typologies found in Yogavasishta and likewise
> > > for the one found in Jivanmuktiveveka and what are the disparities with
> > > M's 7
> >

> > I think the point is that lineally speaking, that is, in the tradition M.
> > claims to come from, their realizers describe the awakening process
> > differently than M. does.
>
> Yes..
>
> > That is, the Maharishi's system of awakening is one he made up and has no
> > lineal or scriptural basis for it.
>

> > That's not to say there aren't some similarities, there are.
> >
> > But once you realize that's what's going on, there's really no need to
> > compare. One's lineal and has been the replicated model of awakening for
> > many centuries, the other is new and made up, but very cleverly and
> > convincingly done.
> >
> And the lineal states that EB referenced are (as in an description)?

* Some parts seem actually quite good. But I see no contradiction yet with
MMY's framework (given that M spoke in analogies and simplifications.

The culmination ofknowledge is when the identification with the Self totally
replaces theidentification with the body (See Upadesa Sahasri, 4.5).

*Thats it? Who still identifies with the body!

On the attainment of this culmination, the knot of the heart is cut off,
alldoubts are destroyed and all latent impressions are annihilated (Mund.Up.
2.2.8).

The highest state attainable through karma is that ofHiranyagarbha. Even this
pales into insignificance compared to theSupreme Brahman.

The 'knot of the heart' means the wrong identity ofthe Self with the intellect,
caused by beginningless ignorance; it isso called because it is as tight as a
knot.

* Yes -- the intellect is just a responsive entity trained by myriad of
experience and training. It just does according to what it is. No real
volition. But this is not earthshaking news.

The doubts referred toare-- Is the Self a mere witness or the doer of actions?
If it is onlya witness, is it Brahman or not? If it is Brahman, can it be known
bythe intellect or not? Does liberation consist merely in this knowledge?

* Ah ha -- the plot thickens.

The 'latent impressions' are those that lead to future births.

* Sanchita karma.

Thesethree, being the results of Avidya, disappear on the realization of the
Self. (See also Gita, 18.17).

Bondage is the experience of pleasure and pain resulting from man looking upon
himself as the performer of actions and the enjoyer of the fruits there of.
Because of this bondage one is not able to experience theBliss which is natural
to him. The cessation of this bondage isJivanmukti or liberation in life.

Now the question arises-- is thebondage the natural characteristic of the
Witness (Self) or of themind?. Since bondage ceases on the dawn of knowledge,
it cannot be acharacteristic of the Self, because what is natural can never
beremoved, like the heat of fire or the fluidity of water. If it is thenatural
characteristic of the mind, then also it can never be got ridof. It may be
argued that though the natural characteristic of the mind cannot be completely
removed, its effect can be neutralized by thepractice of yoga. To this the
answer given by the objector is that Praarabdha karma will make the person
experience pleasure and pain and will prevent knowledge from destroying the
ignorance along with its effects in its entirety.

*Yes.

The Siddhanti's reply to this is that the human efforts prescribed by the
scriptures can counteract even the effects of Praarabdha karma. If this is not
so, all the sacred texts on liberation will become useless. One should not give
up further effort just because of failure once.

* This explains how  - or presents a model of how it is possible that some who
are liberated still do wild and crazy things. And contrasts yogis who maintain
deep practice after liberation from those active in the world.

Nobody gives up eating for fear of indigestion or cooking for fear of being
pestered by beggars or covering oneself with a blanket in cold weather because
of the fear that there may be lice in it.

When good desires arise soon after thepractice of Rajayoga, it should be
attributed to the practice of theyoga. One should continue with such practice
in accordance with theinstruction of the teacher, scripture and other valid
evidence(Pramaana) until complete mastery over the mind is attained and
theidentity of Brahman and Atman is realized. After that, when theobstacles in
the form of evil desires have vanished, even the gooddesires should be given
up.

It is thus clear that all desires(including those arising due to Praarabdha
karma) can be got rid ofthrough Yoga and so the possibility of Jivanmukti
cannot be disputed.

* if practice and dilligence is pursued after liberation. If not, wild and
crazy things may still arise.

* So where is the huge difference in frameworks?