--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "WillyTex" <willy...@...> wrote:

> emptybill:
> > "...Paul's view of women, though inconsistent,
> > reflects his Gnosticism in its misogynist aspects."
> >
> If Paul had been a Gnostic, then we could infer that
> somehow some Pagan Gnostic notions got inside the
> Judaism of the times - not very likely, since the
> theology of Judaism does not support polytheism in
> any way.

According to Maccoby, Paul was likely not a born Jew
but rather a pagan convert to Judaism. Maccoby
theorizes that Paul, with the zeal of a new convert,
tried to become a Pharisee but didn't make the grade.
His disappointment turned to a sour-grapes type of
attitude, which is why he so easily rejected Judaism
to become a Jesus follower.