> > According to V. Sundaresan, Swami Vasudevanand
> > of Jyotirmath is "the sole representative of
> > this lineage"...

Peter:
> What a mess!

Well, I guess you should have been there.

"I sat down directly in front of Maharishi who was
sitting about fifteen feet away on his dais. To his
left, and above him on his own dais was the present
Shankaracharya of Jyotirmath, the spiritual "pope"
of North India, Sri Swami Vishnudevananda.

To his left, sitting on an even higher dais, was
Guru Dev's successor (appointed by Guru Dev himself,
in his will), Shri Swami Shantanand Saraswati Maharaj,
retired Shankaracharya of Jyothirmath.

These two sat under the gold and red umbrella of the
Shankaracharya, on the throne-like chairs of their
position. Surrounding them were about fifty of the
most illustrious looking orange-clad swarmis I'd
ever seen. This was the top of India's spiritual
tradition in the flesh..."

Read more:

Subject: I sat down directly in front of Maharishi...
From: Willytex (Lot 49)