I often don't understand why companies want to locate in SF because of
the much higher rent.  It must be for the "prestige".  Office space is
much cheaper around other parts of the Bay Area.  I  had an unsolicited
offer to apply for a gig at a smart phone company that was adding
Android to their line up.  It was in a very nice part of town and yes
their offices were actually there (instead of it being a rented mail
box).  The position was a little junior for me and also I wouldn't like
the commute anyway.