No doubt they are good studies in that these individuals are demonstrating
changes in their eeg during or following their meditation practice.The problems
is in interpreting what these changes mean i.e people who become "advanced
meditators" may be different genetically or developmentally(from those who are
not advanced) and it these factors which primarily explain the changes seen in
their eeg.For example adolescents who have used marijuana are more likely to
develop schizophrenia.Of course marijuana use does
NOT BY ITSELF cause schizophrenia.It is just that apparently using marijuana or
something related to using marijuana serves to increase the chances of
developing schizophrenia in individuals who are otherwise already susceptible
to developing schizophrenia.The best way to see whether meditation is the
primary reason for significant changes in eeg readings is to conduct a
longitudinal study with two randomly selected groups one of which meditates and
one of does something else and use eeg as the dependent variable.Just as an
aside I have always been impressed the wide range of differences there is in
how individuals respond to meditation practice.Non meditation factors almost
certainly are involved in how meditation affects people.