Unless Paul has radically changed over the years (and I agree, some
people do), he would be incapable of anything other than the
profoundest sincerity in any official utterances he made on
behalf of the Movement.

He takes the Movement VERY SERIOUSLY (make this bold, red,
about 124 point and underlined in addition to capitalized, and
you'll have the faintest glimpse of just how seriuosly...).  Sweet
guy, mediocre musician (IMO), incapable of irony.