--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "emptybill" <emptybill@...> wrote:

> This is a straight copy from Childhood's End by Authur C. Clark.
>
> It must have snookered a lot of people.

Er, well, no, it isn't. The passage I quoted and critiqued
appears nowhere in my copy of the book.

The *idea* is in the book, but not nearly as specifically;
and not even the idea was original with Clarke.

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Flatley" untilbeyond@ wrote:
> > >
> > > http://www.zetatalk.com/call/c24.htm

[quoted by moi from the page at Michael's URL:]
> > "The Devil is reputed to be a red creature with a pointed
> > tail and two horns, most often carrying a three pronged
> > fork. Is this a mythological creature, or does it have a
> > basis in reality, and if so, how did it come to be
> > associated with evil? In fact, the Devil is not far in
> > description from a real creature, who lives and breaths
> > today, albeit not on Earth. This creature visited Earth
> > in the past, and, to say the least, made an impression.
> > Why the three pronged fork, and does the number 3 have a
> > significance? It does indeed.
> >
> > "The Devil of lore is a fairly accurate picture of an
> > extraterrestrial who visited Earth millennia ago, briefly.
> > This visit preceded the time when the Bible was to be
> > written, and thus the memories of this entity were fresh
> > and strong."

<my critique of the passage's historical inaccuracies
snipped by emptybill>