Nice article.
I would say not to intellectualize or philosophize too much(sushka tarka
- dry logic), otherwise you will just end deceiving yourself - a la
Vakrabuddhi or the Trickster.
A thirsty man doesn't start reading books on water, types of water, the
manufacturers,  suppliers, etc. - he knows he is thirsty and that he
needs water. People who quench their thirst might react differently,
some may become silent, some will scream in joy, some might laugh, some
shed tears, these expressions don't convey the joy of quenching thirst,
they are not the real thing, just the after effects and we shouldn't
focus on that.
Some might have quenched their thirst by drinking water from a lake,
some from a muddy lake, some from a river - this is unnecessary again
and doesn't convey the joy of quenching the thirst.
The important factors in the non-journey journey are:
Three S's of spirituality - Satsang (company of the enlightened), Seva
(service to Guru or God) and Sadhana (spiritual practices)
And the 3 V's - Vairagya(dispassion to worldly objects),
Viveka(discrimination) and Vichara(inquiry, investigation).
Above all Kripa or Grace of a Sadguru or God is the most important
factor.
Love - Ravi Yogi

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Xenophaneros Anartaxius
<anartaxius@...> wrote:

> [...]
> which colours fit with female or male, or the age of the birds. To
'transcend,'
> one has to condition the mind/body a certain way so that the
discriminative
> ability is enhanced. However this is done, one is learning a new
habit. A
> meditation system establishes a habit that can interfere with other
habits we
> might have, that is, de-condition those other habits, break them up;
allows us
> to unlearn those habits to a lesser or greater extent, while
establishing the
> effect of its own habit. Those other habits, primarily perceptual and
> understanding based, in this context of spiritual development are
called
> 'ignorance.'
>

> Even though it is not an actual journey from somewhere to somewhere
else, this
> learning/unlearning process can be thought of as a journey, and we end
up
> conceptualising what is going on in this process, or borrowing someone
else's
> ideas about it. The huge variation in description of this imaginary
journey
> found in the literature, in groups practising meditation, and other
spiritually
> oriented techniques, is enough to make one wonder how much of all this
could be
> real. There seems to be a kind of fantasy overkill that develops in
spiritual
> movements over time where peoples' imaginations take over where
experience ends.
> In a scientific discipline, imagination plays a big role, scientists
come up
> with all sorts of crazy ideas to try to explain their experiences and
data. Most
> of these ideas turn out to not work out because, well, scientists test
them and
> argue among themselves and eventually filter out the crap based on the
results
> of carefully constructed test situations. For some reason, there does
not seem
> to be a very good filtering mechanism in most spiritual circles, so
the crap
> continues to circulate unabated, and sometimes it seems to develop an
> astonishing reproductive capacity as well. It often ends up in pretty
books with
> gold borders and illuminated letters, although buried in the dazzle
may be
> useful implementable plans.
>
> Enlightenment is a simple experience, and while the so-called path to
it can be
> made subject to a descriptive process, we might consider just how
complex that
> description needs to be to describe how to get the job done. In the
Maharishi
> system, there are these benchmark descriptions TC, CC, etc., but it
might be
> well to reflect on just how discrete these experiences are for any
particular
> person, considering there are differences in human nervous systems and
the
> programming (conditioning) of those nervous systems. Perhaps these
experiences
> blend together for some individuals, or perhaps some individuals, due
to their
> nature and backlog of experience, might skip one of the criteria
described. A
> teacher in the Zen tradition I heard once on the West Coast of the
United States
> spoke of an 'under-the-water feeling' that results from having
meditated for
> some years. When you are swimming and you are under water everything
above the
> surface feels walled off, inaccessible. This might correspond to the
CC
> described in TM movement literature, where the person (or non-person,
however
> you want to describe the internal experience), feels separated from
activity.
> This is a rather early stage, not really what enlightenment is.
Partial
> enlightenment, if one dares to call it that, is like travelling
somewhere and
> getting only a third, or halfway there. One has not arrived, if we are
thinking
> of this as some sort of journey from A to Z. If one travels for the
first time
> from Atlanta, Georgia to Portland, Oregon, but only ends up in Denver,
Colorado,
> what does this one know about Portland?
>
> Once I heard some people talking of a system created by psychiatrists
> unburden the psyche. This woman described it to me as the 'only way'
to become
> free. It seemed that the people that went through this process ended
up blaming
> everything they thought wrong in their lives on their parents.
Techniques have a
> designated purpose; once that purpose is achieved, do they have any
more value?
> Is that value, if still present, different from what it was initially?
If you
> want to open a can of beans, and you pick a can opener to do the job,
once the
> lid is cut off, what is the value of that can opener? What do you need
next? How
> many possible ways could one pursue to get enlightened? Is there just
'one way'
> or many, or as some say, is there no way at all; the experience
dawning in the
> time and the place of its own blossoming?
>
> So what is essential, intellectually, to understand about this
make-believe
> journey? Enlightenment is a non-journey from A to A. It is really just
A period.
> But saying it that way does not allow for effectively communicating
about it to
> anyone. So how much is it necessary to flesh out the trip as a
description? Do
> we say it is A to A, or A to B, or A to B to C, or A to B to C to D to
E to F to
> G to H to I to J to K to L to M to N to O to P to Q to R to S to T to
U to V to