--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "WillyTex" <willytex@...> wrote:

> curtisdeltablues:
> > I just think he was full of it and that
> > his premises about reality are bogus...
> >
> But, for some reason you practiced yoga for
> fourteen years and majored in philosophy at
> MUM? It just doesn't make any sense!

Actually 15 the first go around.  Do you have difficulty sorting out different
time periods in a person's life?  Or the idea that you might believe one thing
at one time and on further maturation change your beliefs?  Or even the concept
of someone changing their mind as they experience more of life?  I think this
may be at the root of why it doesn't make sense to you.

> Samkhya is the philosophical foundation of
> all Indian culture, the measuring rod of the
> entire Buddhist, Hindu and Sikh world-view.

You may be overstating that since Samkhya came a lot later than many of the
principles in Hinduism.  And I'm not sure how much it influenced the Buddhists
and the Sikhs.  My guess is that it was political rather than philosophical
forces that serve as the foundation of those cultures.  People really aren't
that deep in my experience.

> So, what exactly, were you striving for in
> the TMO and at MUM?

I was seeking enlightenment in the terms Maharishi described it.  I changed my
mind about the validity of that endeavor and that changed my life and
relationship with is teaching. (again the different time periods thing)

> "Let there be soundless repetition of [the
> pranava] and meditation thereon" (Patanjali
> Y.S., Book One V. 28).

I'm sure he may have some interesting insights into the human mind but it is
hard for me to get past the wacky chapter.  It kinda detracts from any sense of
credibility he has for me.  Lets just say I wouldn't consider him an expert in
anything other than tall tale telling.  He was pretty good at that considering
how many people read that people can fly through the air and believe it today.
PT Barnum would have said "Dude I'm a bullshitter but you are too much even for
me!"