--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Joe" <geezerfreak@...> wrote:

> Interesting...I've worked with several jazz artists who,
> when in the midst of their most intense improvisational
> flights, feel as if "they" stopped authoring the improv
> and something else was playing though them...that they
> had become a conduit for something else.

I hear this frequently from writers as well. This
experience among creative artists is the basis of the
"Muse" notion.

(A client of mine and I joke that his communications
from his Muse are occasionally blocked by static; and
when I edit the material, she communicates with me to
fill in what she couldn't get through to him.)

But what Barry's asking about is whether a Muse-type
experience would enable a painter to paint a portrait
without looking at the canvas.

Of course, touch-typing is an absurd attempt at a
parallel to "disprove" the notion of supernatural
intervention in the artistic process. You might
conceivably compare touch-typing to a musician
improvising without watching his/her hands, but that
just doesn't translate to painting.

I seriously doubt, moreover, whether any of Barry's
artist friends would tell him they could paint a
portrait without looking at the canvas. Some types of
drawing could be done that way, but not a painted
portrait, especially not in Varma's realistic,
academic style.

So do I think Divine Mother was painting the portrait
of King George? No. My guess is that the story is
apocryphal, or significantly exaggerated.