--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozguru@...> wrote:

> Don't know if you ever listen to KGO-AM but Gene Burns did 3 hours last
> night on the possibility of riots this summer in the US based on the
> rising number of unemployed.  Now as you know and for the benefit of
> others who don't know KGO it is not a fringe little radio station but a
> 50KW mainstream key San Francisco radio station.  It is a news talk
> station and Burns is topical and Libertarian (who voted for Obama).  But
> the topic came up due to him watching a segment on Wolf Blitzer's CNN
> show yesterday where Jack Cafferty also a CNN staffer commented on the
> possibility of civil unrest.  Here's the report that Burns was referring to:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7QnwYwHQIM

Can't stand Cafferty.

> There of course has been quite a bit of civil unrest in Europe as well
> as Asia.  Maybe Turq isn't paying attention.  We also are having reports
> from this year's Bilderberg meeting in the news.  It's being held in St.
> Moritz and I got a kick out of seeing a road sign posted on an article
> because it listed Sils where my grandfather grew up and in the
> neighborhood.  My nephew visited Sils recently and told me being next to
> St. Moritz is a pricey place and that his slice of pizza for lunch cost
> $20.  But I digress.
>
> Indeed the press around here reminds us all the time especially after we
> have minor quakes to be sure to have supplies on hand.
>

> On 06/09/2011 01:23 PM, whynotnow7 wrote:
> > In Bhairatu's case and mine too, earthquakes are a real threat here, so I
> > have my survival kit in place, stored outside in a dry place where I can
> > get to it if necessary. Things are pretty ugly here economically, though I
> > think the probability of rebellion or revolution is *extremely* remote. I
> > wouldn't mind though if all of the 20+ million unemployed converged on
> > Washington DC and shut it down for awhile though.

A lot of good a survival kit will do you stored outside in a tornado.

"As of June 8, there have been 1,458 tornadoes reported in the US in 2011 (of
which at least 1,039 were confirmed). 2011 has been an exceptionally
destructive and deadly year for tornadoes; worldwide, at least 539 people
perished due to tornadoes: 12 in Bangladesh, one in New Zealand, one in the
Philippines and an estimated 525 in the United States (compared to 564 US
deaths in the 10 years prior) [1]. Due in large part to several extremely large
tornado outbreaks in the middle and end of April and in late May, the year is
currently on record pace. It is also the deadliest year in the United States
since 1936, due mostly to the 322 tornadic deaths that occured during the April
27 outbreak across the Southeastern United States and the 151 tornadic deaths
in the 2011 Joplin Tornado."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tornadoes_of_2011

A Tornado destroyed 30% of Joplin, MO, population 50,000. Catastrophic events
are a big story in the news for a few days, then we don't hear very much about
it afterwards. What happened to the folks who lived though Katrina?  How many
came back to New Orleans? No one seems to keep track of where these people went
or what happened to them after they lost everything, it's yesterday's news.