[ Thanks for the correction, Robert. I misremembered, but
in retrospect I actually like me replacing "live" with
"real." If there is such a thing as gaining a "real" view
of a spiritual teacher, I think there's a relationship. ]

When it comes to assessing the life of a spiritual teacher,
especially one who presented himself as enlightened or
allowed others to present him that way, I think there is
a certain merit in having seen that teacher "live." I
don't see how anyone could claim to be presenting a "real"
picture of that teacher if they hadn't.

But even if a writer had known the teacher intimately, on
a one-to-one, personal basis for years, would that make
his or her biography or hagiography of that teacher "real?"

I don't think so. I think that when it comes to "authori-
tative," I would assign that attribute more to those who
had seen and worked with the teacher "live" than I would
to those who had not. But I would never consider such an
account "real," in any meaningful sense.

Instead, if a writer's account of a particular teacher
interested me, my immediate response would be to find
books written about the same teacher by other people.
That's just the way I roll.

One of Rama - Frederick Lenz's theories which I still feel
has some wisdom to it is that he believed that there was
no possibility of one, single book being written about an
enlightened being able to present the whole picture. He
felt that the only thing that could present an accurate
picture of an enlightened teacher would be a *lot* of
books, written equally by the teacher's own students and
by others who had run into the teacher along the Way.

He put this into practice in his own book "The Last Incar-
nation." He didn't write it; we did. By "we" I mean his
students at the time. I still think it's an interesting
work, somewhat unique in the spiritual canon. "The Last
Incarnation" wound up being a fascinating amalgam of many
different students' views of Rama and what it was like to
study with him. And the most fascinating part was that
many of the stories were mutually contradicting.

They'd attempt to describe the same meeting or desert
trip, and the same event, and the differences were often
startling. Some would remember one siddhi being demon-
strated, others another. Some would attribute to Rama
certain quotes, while others relating the same talk
would come up with vastly different quotes. The book
was an utter classic of cognitive dissonance.

This is why I look with some amusement at the attempts on
this forum to squeeze Maharishi into one small box, with
a label on it that reads "This is the real story of
Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. So There."

There is a level of hubris implicit in believing that
your view of a certain teacher or a certain teaching
defines "real." I can no longer achieve that level of
hubris. My experiences with Rama and with other teachers
convinces me that NO ONE's view of them constitutes
a "real" view. They're just views.

Mine -- of Maharishi or of Rama or about other facets
of spiritual life -- are similarly just views. I make
no claim that my depictions of Maharishi or other topics
on this forum are any more "real" than anyone else's.
Some of them have the advantage of being based on "live"
vs. "Memorex," but that doesn't make them more "real."
They're just views.