--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" <LEnglish5@...> wrote:

> IMplicit in MMY's theory of 7 states of consciousness is
> the fact that there's no end-point to growth, and therefore
> there's no such thing as "the" 7th state.

Plus which, as I've always understood it, the whole thing
is a continuum anyway. MMY's 7 states (at least from CC on)
are benchmarks along a line of continuous development.
You can put in as many benchmarks as you want (10,000 on up
to infinity if you get off on big numbers and think they
make your scheme "better" than one that uses only 7), but
the number doesn't change the nature of the continuum. Has
nothing to do with "believing in" a particular number of
benchmarks, except in terms of believing that number is more
useful for your teaching purposes.

Barry also writes:

> The model most of us have been presented with along
> the spiritual path is that SOCs are "achieved" or
> "realized," but then you're kinda stuck with them.
> You "get to" CC, but you can't then put on the
> consciousness of normal waking state if you want to,
> say, for teaching purposes. Similarly, if you "get
> to" UC, you can't then "backtrack" during a talk on
> GC and temporarily "wear" that state of consciousness
> in order to model it or demo it for your students.

Sure you can. At every point along the continuum, the
level you've attained includes every previous level.
If you want to communicate successfully, you have to
address your students from whatever level they're at,
or you won't communicate successfully.