--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "John" <jr_esq@...> wrote:

> There's method in jyotish for determining your ishta devata.
> You cannot make yourself your own devata.

To do so would be a form of spiritual masturbation,
and thus is frowned upon. Don't diddle your devata. :-)

> Also, MMY said that the Buddha is a reincarnation of Vishnu
> or Krishna.  As such, the Buddha is not a mere human being
> with unusual powers.

Someday, John, you should really consider doing a
little reading about spiritual history, so that you
don't come off as such an ignoramus sometimes. What
you cite Maharishi as "saying" is straight Hindu
propaganda. It had its origins in the years follow-
ing Buddha's life, when the Vedic/Hindu priests
suddenly realized that the Buddha's message appealed
to people far more than theirs did, and it cost them
nothing (as opposed to being nickeled and dimed to
death to pay for yagyas and the like).

Faced with the prospect of large numbers of their
sucker base...uh, I mean followers...converting to
Buddhism, they had to do something. So they did what
all "gotta hold onto our followers" religions did
and attempted to *co-opt* the Buddha. They declared
him an avatar of Vishnu, to make it seem as if he
had been part of the Hindu/Vedic tradition all along.

Nothing could be further from the truth. During his
lifetime the Buddha stated often that he was *not*
an avatar, of anything or any deity. Part of what
made his teaching so popular is that he presented
himself as *not* special, and in fact just like the
people he was teaching. Any of them could achieve
enlightenment, just as he had. The Buddha's *whole
message* was the opposite of what Maharishi claimed.
Buddha was as much a Hindu or a part of the Vedic
tradition as Jesus was a Jew and part of that trad-
ition. Both *broke away* from their traditions and
rejected them, offering something vastly different.

In this case as in so many others, settling for "what
Maharishi said" is really "settling." MMJY, like you,
clearly settled for what he had been told. The
thought of opening a book about the Buddha, his life,
and his actual teachings never occurred to him.