> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozguru@> wrote:

> > What about the Beatles?  I think that was the reason MMY
> > and TM became popular.
>
> Yes, in a PR sense, that is absolutely true. If he
> hadn't run into the Beatles, almost no one would have
> ever heard of him.

Well, let's get technical here: HE didn't run into the Beatles. The Beatles
sought HIM out. He was already famous enough that the Fab Four were hearing his
name from their friends.

> But the fact that he did, and co-opted their fame to
> increase his own *also* springboarded off of the 60s
> American hippie-love of anything Indian and the lack
> of critical thought they brought to anything Indian.

Again, the Beatles already had some interest in that topic -independently of
Maharishi- although MMY certainly helped make it fashionable

> > Charlie Lutes once said that the movement wouldn't have been
> > as big without them but it might have been more sophisticated.
>
> Charlie was a fool. If it hadn't been for the Beatles,
> almost no one on this forum would ever have heard of
> Maharishi but him and a few other Theosophist types.

Hard to say. The Beach Boys and many others (e.g. Donovan) who were also famous
were interested in him, and independently of the Beatles.

> > People were interested in yoga back in the 1960s and the
> > Beatles threw the spotlight on a teacher who was interested
> > in teaching the world. Think if they'd gone down the
> > Scientology road. :-D
>
> Back then, they didn't have any celebrities to shill
> for them. Maharishi did.

Dunno if the people gathered around Hubbard saw the benefits of celebrity
endorsements the way MMY did, but I suspect there were quite a few celebs back
in the day.

Lawson