Whether it is possible to sabotage the economy, the Republican strategy of
focusing on the economy might have the desired payoff. While economic cycles
tend not to correlate with administrations as a matter of perceived cause and
effect, presidential wins and losses do seem to. The economy was beginning to
go down at the end of Clinton's term and Bush came into office even though the
economy was quite strong under the Clinton administration. As GW Bush's term
ended, the economy was starting to go down again though it had improved a whole
lot during his administration, and Obama came into office. When jobs are
scarce, presidents tend not to be re-elected, or the dominant party suffers
losses. This is a loose correlation, but it is significant. If the economy
falters, Obama will be in trouble.

My long ago (infant time) home Greece is not suffering because of conservative
politics, it is suffering from excessive spending. Yet the austerity measures
being forced on it to get more cash will probably hinder the economy too, and
some of these ideas are conservative ideas. This matter of how a particular
party's policies affect various classes and the economy is only partially true,
and the ideology of each of the sides never has really proved an adequate
solution, though each side believes its ideas are the solution. The
relationship between government policy, business viability, employment,
benefits and so on, has never been clearly understood. If it was, there would
be a definite agreed upon plan. In other words there is no science or much
practical knowledge here, only opinion that has not been adequately sorted out
by definitive test, and manipulation to keep one's ideological bedfellows in a
job.

There have been good times under Democrats and good times under Republicans,
and the reverse. But they both want to keep their jobs too, and that might be a
conflict as well. Should a public servant sacrifice his public trust to keep
his or her job?