Bija mantra-s are the phonemes of oral, chanted Sanskrit.
Each of these phonemes has the appropriate anusvara added
to it (which if chanted like Brahmana-s do in the appropriate
manner) turns it into a bija-mantra. If you had the time/place
in the past to learn and chant the  bija akshara-s of Sanskrit,
then you would know this already.

I don't have much Sanskrit language training but what I have
is based upon the same tradition that Sanskrit pandits use, which
is the transmission of the oral/aural spoken language. Chanting
Patanjalayogasutra is a whole different experience from just
reading it.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "richardjwilliamstexas"