--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "seventhray1" <steve.sundur@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "raunchydog" <raunchydog@>
> wrote:
> >
> > Japan Wins in a sudden death shoot out. Ooof.
>

> I don't think it is sudden death, technically.  Each team gets five
> penalty kicks, and whoever comes out on top, or they keep going.

The term penalty kick is correct. News reports call it a penalty shootout. I'm
not up on the finer points of soccer rules. I'm more familiar with field
hockey, which has a similar strategy for playing positions but the rules are
vastly different. I played right wing for an Ann Arbor association for a few
years during and after college, so I know an intentional foul when I see one.

In the last few minutes of the second half of overtime, the score was 2-2 and
the US was attempting a shot at goal. Japan's player intentionally tripped the
US player taking a shot for the winning goal. The US won a free penalty kick
for the foul. When Japan lined up players to defend goal, it was the first
opportunity in the game to see US strategy for a penalty kick. It may have put
US at a disadvantage for the shootout. I wonder if Japan drew the foul to
expose US strategy.

The US came out strong in the first half hour and had several great shots. They
dominated and could have wrapped up the game early, but they couldn't score
until overtime. Both teams played well. I'm still bummed we didn't win.