turquoiseb:
> Maharishi's path -- as I see it...YMMV -- was largely
> a path based on sutra.

You are incorrect - MMY's technique is purely tantric;
there are no 'sutras' involved in basic TM. It is very
similar to the tantric practices of the Sri Vidya sect,
in which there is a meditation utilizing thought-tools
such as bija mantras and yantras.

> There was a Big Book Of Rules (several, actually),
> and liberation was to be found in following them...

The so-called "Orange Book' was not a 'sutra', but the
Rig Veda, Mandala IX, from the Harvard 'Sacred Books
of the East Series', in which the benefits of 'Soma'
is extolled. Apparently Turq never received this book.

Go figure.

If one followed the rules contained in the Rig Veda,
they would probably be dead by now, since obviously
the correct recipe for Soma was lost before the Rig
Veda was even composed in Persia.

"A true-blue, diehard, dedicated TMer would always
be having a mimeographed copy of the Rik Veda,
Mandala IX, on his or her nightstand..."

Read more:

Subject: The TMers Handbook
Author: Willytex
Newsgroups: alt.meditation.transcendental