Barry - based upon your posts here at FFL you seem to be the only one to
have been sucked in to, not one but two teachers's obsessions. So you
should go ahead and answer it, there might be others whose self-loathing
and pain is not obvious as yours - who might follow your bold
initiative.
>> What *happened* along the Way that convinced you to start seeing the
> world through someone else's eyes, and believing the things that they
> do? Do you still *believe* these things, or do you just take it for
> granted that you do, and never "go there" and analyze the beliefs
> themselves?

> No, this is NOT a post about Judy. :-)
>
> It's a post about spiritual teachers.
>
> I'm of the opinion that one valid way of viewing spiritual teachers is
> as people who have a strong set of beliefs, or have had some (to them)
> profound experience, or both, and who were so overshadowed by those
> beliefs or those experiences that they became obsessed with them, and
> decided that they are the most important thing in life. Then, not
> content with just feeling that they are the most important thing in
life
> *for them*, they dedicate their lives to convincing others to make
them
> the most important thing in life for them, too.
>
> I would suggest that this generalization is so widespread that it can
> legitimately be called a truism. If you disagree, name me a spiritual
> teacher to whom it does not apply. I'll wait.
>
> I've always liked William Peter Blatty's film "The Ninth
Configuration."