> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "jim_flanegin"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

<snip>

> > > The term "great mind" as applied to human beings is an
> > > impossibility, in that the closer a mind approaches greatness,
> > > the clearer it becomes, until upon achieving true greatness, it
> > > disappears.
> >
> > So much for making jokes based on partially quoting famous
> > sayings...
>
> Sorry, I didn't mean to quash your rhythm, I just never cared for
> the expression 'great mind'...

Just for the record, the saying--at least in its
popular version--is, "Great minds run on the same
track," and it's typically invoked when two people
come up with the same thought at the same time
independently of each other.  Also typically,
nobody is suggesting by invoking the saying that
either or both of the two people have "great minds"
(or that they think alike, for that matter).  It's,
you know, jocular: "Great minds run on the same
track, heh heh heh."  It's usually spoken by the
first person to have had the thought in response
to the second person's voicing the same thought.

(Another similar saying, often invoked under similar
circumstances, is, "Two minds with but a single
thought."  But as it happens, that's from a love
poem, the next line of which is, "Two hearts that
beat as one."  That wouldn't have been the ticket
here.)