To clarify my point.  I had the perception, perhaps like Ravi, that
Mao's time  was in the somewhat distant past, among an older generation.
It is hard to realize that his time was as recent as the 60's going into
the 70's, and involved a more modern generation. A lot has happened in a
short period of time.  But yes I know I had the tendency to place an
individual on a pedestal as I did with Maharishi.

<curtisdeltablues@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Ravi Yogi" raviyogi@ wrote:
> >
> > "So it was the believer's confidence in their ability to plumb his
soul
> > what I was comparing, not his deeds or pathological mass murdering
> > mindset."
> > Who are these believers? Innocent, gullible, feudal mindset of
1940's
> > Chinese vs free spirited anti-establishment 60's Americans?
>
> Come on dude. You really wont even exert the effort to type three
letters into Google to tighten up on your dates, or if you have a Droid
phone say the words, "search Mao"?

> My argument is not dependent on dates, but since yours seems to be let
me put your meat on the plate and cut it into tiny bite-size pieces.
(Yeah, I'm getting a little dickish here.)

> The Cultural Revolution of Mao, which was the most extreme expression
of his cult status, was 1966. Its effects lasted till his death in 1976.
The focus was on young idealists who believed that they were uniquely
capable of understanding a new vision for humanity, a vision that the
older generation, in fact the whole previous intellectual and artistic
history of China, was incapable of understanding.

> Maharishi was focused on the young idealists in Western countries
during this time. They felt that their ability to comprehend and embody
the full message of Maharishi's teaching was superior to the older
generation, who did not share their belief that Maharishi had a unique
role to play in human history. His student movement picked up steam in
the mid to late 60's with the Beatles going to Rishikesh in '68. I sat
with him in the Felt Forum in NYC in 1975 to inaugurate the Dawn of the
Age of Enlightenment. It was filled with young people whose confidence
in their assessment of Maharishi's special role in the history of the
world, was complete. His "aura" filled the 5,000 seat room.

> But back to my point, because Steve has picked up the ball and I hope
he pursues it. The comparison I am making concerns the confidence in
these people, young or old, regardless of the decade, to assess the
special status, or state of consciousness, or godly nature of their
leader by their own subjective feelings about him or her.

> I contend that humans suck at this. Our track record shows case after
case of our complete bamboozlement, with Mao and the millions who
believed that he could bend the very laws of nature, as the definitive
example of this human nature flaw. We not only suck at this assessment,
we have been perversely endowed with an extra dose of unwarranted
confidence in our abilities in this area. So much confidence that people
believe that this is the one thing they can stake their very lives on.
We are prone to mistake the fervor of our convictions for their
epistemological legitimacy.

> We need to better understand the mechanisms behind our subjective
experiences of people's specialness before we throw our collective hats
in the ring again in support of the next version of: this guy (or gal,
holla at the ladies in the house) who is serving up a heaping helping of
"I have the inside story on this mystery called life. I really do. No, I
mean it, I'm the one who knows. For sure, sure. Absolutely positive.
Certain beyond any doubt. I've got the game plan from the big guy in the
sky (all the ladies put your hands in the air for Mother D)."

> Our track record makes it clear that we can't tell the difference
between shit and shinola. And all you have to do is type in the 3
letters M-A-O into Google, to see how humbling our overconfidence in
this area can become.

> > <curtisdeltablues@> wrote:

> > and don't have to carry this burden for rest of our lives.
> > >
> > > I'm not too sure about that. People influenced by this mindset are
> > notoriously bad at recognizing it in themselves. There is a natural
> > tendency to believe that we are too smart for that.
> > >

> > > < To compare M with Mao is sick and twisted.>
> > >
> > > I hope you take the time to re-read to get the point you obviously
> > missed. I was comparing the confidence his followers had in their
> > subjective evaluation of him with that same confidence in guru
> > followers. It is a good example because of the numbers involved and
the
> > way followers talked about him. Have you read about Mao from the
> > perspective of people who knew him? But we can all agree that he was
> > probably not God on earth, and that makes my point. Millions and
> > millions of people experienced him as God. They were absolutely sure
of
> > it and many gave their lives for that belief. And by many I mean
more
> > millions of people than anyone in the history of the world killed
with
> > the possible exception of Stalin. And here Hitler has all the
History