--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, haarvi@... wrote:

> Agree that as a syllogism, MZ's conclusions regarding Mark's
> truth, sensitivity, and authenticity
> are a 'fail'.
> You parsed the illogic exactly.
> But why take this formal approach to reading MZ?
> His reasoning in just about all of his crucial trends of thought
> - as I read him, anyway - is impressionistic
> and subjective rather than deductive.

OK - I take your point. Look I love poetry, music
etc and when push comes to shove I'd say there's more
*meaning* there than you'll find in logic and reasoning
(I've got hippie-itis)

But if you're going to write philosophy, shouldn't it
be *good* philosophy? Isn't it a tad ironic to invoke
the gods of the West, of Western philosophy in particular,
and Socrates specifically, and then say "what's a little
fallacy or two between friends"? Is that how the gods of
the West (shades of Plato, Aristotle, Locke, Hume, Descrates
Leibniz, Spinoza, Peirce, Wittgenstein, Popper et. al.
descending in clouds of glory) would see it? "Oh, my dear
David Hume, what you had to say was completely fallacious,
but it was SO beautifully 'impressionistic'. It was
*your* Truth and you put so prettily".

Aquinas for one didn't see it like that - of that I'm
quite sure. (Doh!).