Teabaggers more disliked than Muslims, atheists   by  John Aravosis (DC)
on 8/17/2011 10:45:00 AM
<http://www.americablog.com/2011/08/teabaggers-more-disliked-than-muslim\
s.html>

In America, it takes a lot to be more disliked than a Muslim, or  even,
God forbid, an atheist.  From  the NYT
<http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/17/opinion/crashing-the-tea-party.html?_\
r=2> :

[I]n data we have recently collected, the Tea Party  ranks lower than
any of the 23 other groups we asked about — lower than  both
Republicans and Democrats. It is even less popular than much  maligned
groups like "atheists" and "Muslims." Interestingly, one
group  that approaches it in unpopularity is the Christian Right.And
here's a surprise - the Tea Party is actually conservative Republicans.
Our analysis casts doubt on the Tea Party's "origin story."
Early on, Tea Partiers were often described as nonpartisan political
neophytes. Actually, the Tea Party's supporters today were highly
partisan Republicans long before the Tea Party was born, and were more
likely than others to have contacted government officials. In fact, past
Republican affiliation is the single strongest predictor of Tea Party
support today.
And the other factor that defines Teabaggers is the desire to see
religion (their religion) play a prominent role in the politics.
Next to being a Republican, the strongest predictor of being  a Tea
Party supporter today was a desire, back in 2006, to see religion  play
a prominent role in politics.  Interestingly, and  surprisingly I'd
argue, the public has swung against mixing religion  with politics.
While over the last five years Americans have become  slightly more
conservative economically, they have swung even further in  opposition
to mingling religion and politics. It thus makes sense  that the Tea
Party ranks alongside the Christian Right in unpopularity.This  is quite
interesting.  We'd need more details as to what's motivating  people to
be less interested in religion in the public square, but it  might
provide a nice line of attack for Democrats, if they have the  courage
to take on religion, even batty  religions like Bachmann's and Perry's
<http://www.americablog.com/2011/08/do-bachmann-and-perry-think-non.html\
<http://www.americablog.com/2011/08/rick-perry-and-new-apostolic.html> .