--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozguru@...> wrote:

> On 09/02/2011 08:56 AM, authfriend wrote:
<snip>
> > I didn't try to access FFL; figured you all could get
> > along without me until I got back, and I didn't want to
> > run the Kindle's battery down (I did bring its charger,
> > but that's not much use when the power's out). A charged
> > battery lasts for weeks if all you're doing is reading
> > what's stored on the Kindle, but using wireless to
> > browse sucks up the charge pretty fast.
>
> Tablets usually have a bit longer battery life than smartphones
> which most people charge up overnight.  The problem is the
> battery technology not the devices themselves.   My tablets can
> hold a charge for several days the Acer much longer than the
> cheap one.

I used the Kindle a *lot* over Saturday and Sunday, both
browsing and just reading, and it still had several hours
on it when the power came back on Monday. Then I recharged
it, but I just wanted to be careful not to use up too much
battery in case the power went out again.

The thing is only 7" x 5" x 1/3" and weighs 8.7 oz. I don't
imagine you could cram a much bigger battery into it.

> School districts are starting to opt for iPads instead of
> textbooks at $500-600 a pop.  Apparently school administrators
> don't know that readers can be purchased for ~$100.

Well, if you read the article you cited, the iPad does a
great deal more than a reader.

> Just got to have that logo I guess:
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44384057/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/
>
> What pisses me off and it is about this economy is that used
> book stores have closed up.  Yesterday on an talk show one of
> Robert Heinlein's novellas was recommended "If This Goes On".
> It was published in 1940 and is about a theocracy.  I found
> online with Scribd but not sure how much you can actually read
> and I wouldn't mind picking up the "Revolt in 2100" anthology
> at a local shops.

You can get the anthology (which has the longer 1953 version)
used on Amazon (mass market paper) for 1 cent plus $3.99
shipping. Also available as a free PDF download (with a two-
week free trial subscription to the site) here:

http://www.ebook3600.com/robert-a-heinlein-if-this-goes-on

This may be the shorter original 1940 version.

You can find just about any used book on the Web, but you
have to know what you're looking for. Browsing in a shop
full of actual old books looking for something of interest
is rapidly becoming a thing of the past, although there'll
probably be a few holdouts that are able to stay in
business more or less as curiosities. Sad.

  There is still a Half Priced Books