Because it's all New Age and thoughtful and all, I suspect most here
will see Terence Malick's "The Tree Of Life" no matter what I say or
anyone else says about it. That's good, because it's gonna polarize both
critics and audiences. At Cannes, the film was alternately applauded and
booed during its first showing. It went on to be awarded the Palme d'Or.

I would suggest that the reason for this is that Cannes is a French film
festival, and the French are given to pondering. If a film spends much
of its time pondering heavy subjects, they are willing to overlook the
fact that it's ponderous. The "Tree Of Life" is ponderous. At times it
makes the Biblical Book Of Job look like a comedy; even the music is
ponderous.

There are certainly beautiful moments in "The Tree Of Life." Much of it
is literally a National Geographic special, full of beautiful and
awe-inspiring images from nature, complete with dinosaurs. These
segments are punctuated by the pondering, much of it disembodied
voiceovers. There ARE people in the film, but in many ways they're
almost an afterthought; they appear in fits and spurts as we move
forwards and backwards in time, but seem to be there only so that they
can ponder. Sean Penn has himself complained publicly that he does not
see the emotion he saw in the script up on the screen. That said, he is
very good in this film, as are Brad Pitt and Jessica Chastain.

Maybe this film would have been more meaningful to me if I were a
believer in God. Much of it is spent pondering His inscrutable ways, and
asking questions of Him that are never answered. But I'm not. For others
it may evoke memories of their own childhoods, as it did for Roger Ebert
-- he gave it four stars and called it a masterpiece. But for me it
didn't.

Personally, as ponderings of the meaning of life go, I have to think
that Alan Ball managed a better one in Lester Burnham's last speech in
"American Beauty." That was a "voiceover moment" as well, but it only
took 30 seconds instead of 140 minutes, and IMO it said more about the
meaning of life:

"I had always heard your entire life flashes in front of your eyes the
second before you die. First of all, that one second isn't a second at
all, it stretches on forever, like an ocean of time... For me, it was
lying on my back at Boy Scout camp, watching falling stars... And yellow
leaves, from the maple trees, that lined our street... Or my
grandmother's hands, and the way her skin seemed like paper... And the
first time I saw my cousin Tony's brand new Firebird... And Janie... And
Janie... And... Carolyn. I guess I could be pretty pissed off about what
happened to me... but it's hard to stay mad, when there's so much beauty
in the world. Sometimes I feel like I'm seeing it all at once, and it's
too much, my heart fills up like a balloon that's about to burst... And
then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it
flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for
every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what
I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday."