On 09/21/2011 05:59 AM, turquoiseb wrote:
> The last week or so has been Viewer Hell for this cinema addict. I've
> had to wade through a number of TV pilots that I would never have spent
> a moment on if a potential client hadn't asked me to review them. It was
> a dismaying experience, but I think I learned something from it about
> how the TMO should pitch its one salable product -- basic TM.
>
> I actually looked forward to watching the first two episodes of
> "Ringer," because it stars Sarah Jessica Parker, who I loved in "Buffy."
> It had potential, in that it was actually SJP squared, playing twins.
> Sadly, it had an unimaginative plot, and was full of unhappy, unlikable,
> self-obsessed characters who between the lot of them couldn't come up
> with a thimbleful of positive self esteem if their lives (and their
> ratings) depended on it. As a TV writer, you should know you're in
> trouble when the only admirable character in your show is a former
> addict who now works as a NA counselor. Just sayin'.
>
> Then I watched "2 Broke Girls," memorable only for Kat Dennings'
> delivery of the punchlines of a series of low-rent sexual innuendo
> jokes. Again, it's a show that is all *about* lack of self-esteem...look
> at the title. Next came "New Girl," starring Zooey Deschanel, which was
> the sole redeeming hour of the whole viewing experiment. Zooey is truly
> adorable, and this show puts her in the spotlight, pretty much carrying
> the whole series herself IMO, because I couldn't work up a bit of
> empathy for any of the other characters or actors. Fortunately, I think
> Zooey's up to the challenge, and this one may be a big hit.
>
> But, at the same time, Zooey's character is lack of self esteem
> incarnate. This poor self image is reflected back to her by her three
> male roommates (who have a "Douchebag Jar" into which they have to
> deposit money whenever they act like douchebags...and the jar is usually
> full), her model friend, or any of the guys and gals they ineffectively
> hit on while looking for love in all of the wrong places. Zooey's
> character, ferchrissakes, still wallowing in an embarrassing breakup,
> watches "Dirty Dancing" five or six times a day, sobbing through it. And
> millions of viewers are going to tune in every week *to* watch her
> wallow, because they do the same thing, and can identify with her and
> her big, sad blue eyes.
>
> So, what's my "takeaway" from seeing these TV shows? And how on earth do
> I relate it to the TMO and how it should be marketing TM?
>
> It's the common denominator -- lack of self esteem. If these are all
> going to be popular TV series in America (and they probably all will),
> watched weekly by millions of viewers, what are those viewers seeing
> onscreen and identifying with that makes them want to come back week
> after week for more? Lack of self esteem. Viewers can identify with
> these characters because they feel that same lack themselves.
>
> So I'm thinkin'...how could the TMO better market TM, if what they
> [...]

Figured you'd really have to check out Zoey's show.  I'm still waiting
to see her play a heinous villain sometime.  I didn't but did watch the
first two episodes of Gellar's and think it has been above average.  My
cuts are mainly due to how much time I want t to take to watch.   We are
all over entertained anyway.  Remember the day when you thought it was a
treat to see just one movie a week?

The first episode of this season's "Fringe" seems to say that they're
having problems keeping the series alive.  Good reason to let a series
run only 2 to 3 seasons.  There's always something else to do.

"Person of Interest" debuts Thursday so will check it out.  Has the guy
who was the villain in "Lost".

Movie tip of the week is "Wrecked" with Adrian Brody.  It's about a guy
who awakens after an accident in a wrecked vehicle deep in the woods.
Available streaming for the Netflixers here.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Wrecked/70180295

I have "Road to Nowhere" coming on Bluray today from NF (soon to be
Qwixster).  It was shot entirely with a DSLR camera and critically
acclaimed.  There is still a good reason to keep the disc service as I
get discs Redbox will never have.