I don't know the exact mechanism used but we don't know the curtain is in one
piece, it could me many pieces of cloth. I do see the vertical lines necessary
for the bar to lift without lifting the backdrop.

I already wrote something about how this dude is betraying us by posing as a
knowledgeable magician on the scene.  If he was the monk wouldn't be moving in
front of a curtain at all, and you would get more than a head-on view.

Simple lift, lots of props.  PT Barnum all the way!