This is going to be one of turq's cafe nostalgia raps. Be warned. There
is no need to proceed unless the Subject line of this post means
something to you.

Today, for some reason I can't quite put my finger on, possibly the
gentle wind in my face on a warm September afternoon, I found myself
thinking about Richard Fariña. With some fondness, because he was my
first hero. Oh sure, I probably had childhood heroes, like Robin Hood or
Zorro, but Fariña was really the first person I could point to as an
adult as my personal hero.

I think I first heard his name in a famous guitar shop in L.A. I walked
in, heard some music I was unfamiliar with on the store's sound system,
and gave it a little of my attention. Then I stopped dead in my tracks,
because within a few seconds it had captured all of my attention. The
song was "Another Country," and I was transfixed. I'd never heard
anything like it before; it was *unique*. I walked to the counter, where
the salesgirl, by now familiar with this syndrome, already had the album
out and was ringing it up for me. :-)

The album I walked away with changed my life. It was called
"Celebrations For A Grey Day," and was by Richard and Mimi Fariña. I
probably spent months -- no exaggeration -- listening to that album. His
words just sung to me, on a level of resonance I'd never found before in
the folk world, even in Dylan. Then came their next album, "Reflections
In A Crystal Wind," and I was so hooked that I went out and bought a
dulcimer and learned to play all of his parts. Not as well, but I could
play them. Then I noticed that Fariña had a book coming out soon. I
SO put myself on the waiting list for that one, and started looking for
his next performance in my area so I could see him perform live.

I never saw Richard Fariña perform live. He died in a motorcycle
accident coming back from the initial launch party for his novel "Been
Down So Long It Looks Like Up To Me." I didn't learn this until after I
had finished reading the novel. Learning it caused me to reread it, and
lament the passing of a great voice. It was a masterful novel, clearly
somewhat autobiographical (it fictionalized some of his exploits
partying down with Tom Pynchon at Cornell), and the writing was as
masterful as his songwriting. Richard had a "singing voice" to his prose
writing, one that I've found in other writer/songwriters like Leonard
Cohen.

Anyway, I credit that novel with setting me on a spiritual path. Go
figure. It was about a drug-using, socially-unacceptable hippie (before
that term had ever been invented), and it set me on a course to finding
that bohemian subculture and immersing myself in it. And that eventually
led to me to learning TM, and that led to progressively more interesting
things. The odyssey inspired by Gnossos Papadopoulis continues, and
continues to be interesting, 45 years later. Thank you, Richard. You
done good by sharing your visions, as least as far as I am concerned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Fari%C3%B1a
<%20http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Fari%C3%B1a>

http://www.richardandmimi.com/index.html
<http://www.richardandmimi.com/index.html>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYiYNg-pwD8
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYiYNg-pwD8>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiPvVk1ljUE
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiPvVk1ljUE>

Any other closet Richard and Mimi Fariña fans here?