The example of a possibly enlightened person being featured in a weekly
TV series on national television in the US presents us with a remarkable
opportunity. In "Enlightened," the character of Amy shows us a person
who was obviously, certifiably crazy (she was, in fact, "certified" --
legally forced to seek therapy) having a subjective experience that she
associates with "enlightenment," and then afterwards expects people
around her to react to how she feels "inside" rather than how she acts
on the outside, in real life. She considers herself an "agent of
change," and expects everyone around her TO change, just as a result of
coming into contact with her.

I think this fictional situation really begs to be compared TO real
life, and how three other people have "acted on the outside" in real
life, both in Fairfield and here on FFL. Let's compare Amy to Robin,
Jim, and Ravi.

Robin is pretty much yer classic "spiritual crazy." Back in the day, he
had some subjective experiences that he interpreted as enlightenment,
and felt (and acted) as if everyone around him should react to his
pronouncement of his own enlightenment not only as if him saying it was
true made it true, but as if now he was some kind of "special" person,
one whose words had "weight," and should be listened to and paid
attention to as if he were really, really, REALLY special -- one of the
enlightened whose wordiness is next to Godliness.

We all know how that worked out. Most people laughed at him. Heck, even
Maharishi -- who he was expecting to climb onto the "Robin is
enlightened" bus and support him -- regarded him as a crazy person. So
how did he react to that? He acted even crazier. We are talking, after
all, about someone so crazy and so convinced that everyone should regard
what he said as Truth that he rented a plane and dropped leaflets of his
own tracts on MIU. Crazy. Bedbug crazy. And now, years later, having
disavowed the "enlightened" thang but still as narcissistic as it gets
and still as convinced of his own specialnessitude, he writes long,
long, long solipcistic tracts here and *still* expects everyone to not
only read them, but treat them as the Truth he is convinced they are. If
anyone (such as myself, or Tom, or others) suggests that he's still more
than a little bedbug crazy, he lashes out at them and tries to portray
them negatively and demonize them. THIS is the model of "enlightened
behavior" that Robin presents to the world, and to us.

Now think Jim Flanegin. When he first appeared on FFL, pronouncing *his*
enlightenment, he was laughed at, too. Suffice it to say he
reacted...uh...badly. He launched into long, abusive tirades against
anyone who failed to believe in his enlightenmentnessitude, so much so
that he embarrassed himself thoroughly and finally skulked off of the
forum in disgrace. Then, not content with that, he came back two more
times, "anonymously." He made up new screen names and pretended that
they weren't really him, and started the same abusive routine again,
consistently lashing out at those who failed to treat him the way
someone enlightened "should" be treated. Busted on both of those
attempts to conceal his identity, now he's back in a fourth incarnation
on FFL, *still* being easily the person on this forum whose buttons are
most easily pushed, still lashing out at anyone who challenges either
his own supposed "enlightened" status or challenges the things he
believes to be true. THIS is the model of "enlightened behavior" that
Jim believes in, and presents to us.

Finally, think Ravi. His first appearance on FFL was actually more of a
meltdown than the fictional Amy's. When people here failed to treat him
as the "enlightened" being he presented himself as, he became so manic
and so abusive that almost everyone on the forum was calling for some
kind of "intervention," to help him seek professional help and hopefully
prevent him from doing harm to either himself or (more likely) to his
wife. Now he's calmed down a bit, but is still in the same mould as Jim;
every time someone pushes his buttons he seemingly *has* to react by
insulting the person who isn't treating him the way he expects to be
treated, and by trying to discredit them. THIS is the model of
enlightened behavior that Ravi believes in, and presents to us as
something we should both revere and hope to aspire to.

WTF?

These four people -- one fictional, three real (sort of) -- seem to
believe that they are actually MAKING A CASE for enlightenment, and for
it not only being a Good Thing, but the Best Thing, something that all
of the rest of us lesser, unenlightened peons should aspire to and seek
above all other goals in life. (Well, Robin doesn't do this with
enlightenment per se...just with treating his own words and ideas as the
Cosmic Truth he clearly believes they are.) And at the same time, they
all periodically act just as crazy and just as out-of-control as Amy
does. Am I the only person here who thinks that they're not quite making
the case for "enlightenment" or for it being a Good Thing that they
think they are? Am I wrong in thinking that compared to the fictional
Amy, *they* often appear even crazier than she does?

I believe that enlightenment -- if it even exists, and isn't just some
former of mental aberration glorified by people in the past and
considered something it's not -- is NO BIG DEAL. No one should be
expected to either believe someone's proclamation of their own
enlightenment, or treat them any differently because of that
proclamation. The Supposedly Enlightened should, in my honest opinion,
be treated JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE. We should judge their words and
actions *the exact same way* we treat anyone else's. That, in fact, is
how I've treated each of these three bozos on FFL.

They seem to be reacting to that with as little grace and equanimity as
Amy reacts to her former husband and her former lover blowing her off in
the first episode of the TV series. And they want us to buy that lack of
grace and equanimity as enlightenment, too.

I don't. How do you feel about it?

Seriously, is there anyone on this forum willing to step up to the plate
and say that they actually *believe* that Robin, Jim and Ravi are
actually enlightened? If so, are you comfortable with the day-to-day way
that they conduct themselves, as a kind of "demo" or role model of what
enlightenment should be or will be for you when you achieve it? Does
their example make you want to become all enlightened yourself? Honestly
curious.