--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Gimbel"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > *In the mystic business, ones ways and means must appeal to the
> > > mystic and unknown.
> > >
> > > That's the mystic business.
> > >
> > > This other stuff is the actuality, but the mysticism must
> > > remain ever beyond.
> >
> > That's actually well said and perceived.  For those who
> > are given to the formulaic approach to self discovery,
> > there is formula, and the belief that the mystery of
> > life yields to formula.  For the mystic, the mystery
> > rules.  You try your best to surf it and stay on the
> > board, not to understand it. *
>
> So, the thing is, how do you integrate these two opposite values.
> The corporate mind and attitude, is pretty rational and focused
> on 'That which can be structured'
> How do you sturcture a mystical approach in an enviornment, that is
> opposed general to this vibration;
> Which is why people like Maharishi, needed to retreat to Uttar
> Kashi, in the Himalayas...
> So, how do you structure that kind of purity in the midst of
> impurity?

Take Two on these excellent questions: flexibility.

It's a fine, cool summer morning in Paris, and the
coffee in this cafe is great and the scenery walking
by is great and I feel great, and the combination of
all these things and your questions has gotten me
thinking of the Rama fellow I studied with for a
long time, and the thing I am most grateful to him for
for teaching me.  That thing is flexibility, and the
controlled folly approach to self discovery I talked
about in my previous response.

Rama was eclectic.  He came from and owed allegiance
to no particular lineage or tradition.  In his talks
and transmitted teachings, he could veer from Zen to
Advaita to Occultism to Bhakti to whatever, all in
the same talk.  He could start out a talk from the
point of view of Unity, *while "wearing" the state
of mind of Unity and "broadcasting" it so powerfully
that we in the audience had to "wear" it, too, and
then over the course of the talk switch to another
state of mind that was *completely contradictory*
to the point of view he began the talk with.  And
when he got to the second, seemingly contradictory
point of view, he'd be "wearing" and "projecting"
*that* state of mind, too.  So you'd sit there in
the audience and experience *both* states of mind,
experience the truth of *both* points of view, all
in the space of an hour or so.

Rama presented *many* different paths and sets of
practices and forms of meditation and ways of living,
all of which we were free to "pick and choose" from,
to come up with a melange of practices and techniques
that seemed to resonate best with us.  It was not
unusual to encounter two Rama students who had
*completely opposite* paths and approaches to their
self discovery, while studying with the same teacher.

I think, in retrospect, that this was a neat thing
to teach.  The teaching was not based on presenting
"the best" approach to self discovery, but on deter-
mining the *most appropriate* approach to self dis-
covery *at the time*.  If you'd been pursuing a more
Zen path in life and it didn't seem to be working for
you in the current real world situation, no problemo.
Switch to another path and try that for a while, to
see if it might be more appropriate.

I wrote a little story about this eclectic teaching
method once, which is still up on the Web at:

http://ramalila.net/RoadTripMind/rtm24.html

Anyway, I guess if I were trying to...uh...formulate
suggestions for how to resolve these seeming contra-
dictions that come up along the Way, I think the
approach I might suggest is flexibility.  Don't be
afraid to stray "outside the tradition" and try some-
thing new and different.  It might just "work better"
for you.  For a while.  But it probably won't "work
better" for you forever.  When that point comes, try
something else, or go back to your previous set of
practices and beliefs.

It's a lot like surfing.  You really can't "preplan"
a ride.  Every wave is different, and presents dif-
ferent challenges.  You can't ride it by practicing
a preplanned formula; you have to remain flexible
and intuitive and just adopt the stance that seems
the best *at the time*.  Surfing is real Here And
Now stuff.  So is self discovery, in my opinion.

Unc