Curtis,

Last night, I had the distinct pleasure of listening to you
on your website---as I'm sure you've heard before---many times, your
performances were uplifting: My only regret is that I have not done this
sooner. My heart felt thanks.

Sorry for taking so long to answer an earlier question of
yours---I've been auditioning at The Cirque, for a place on the high wire; As a
child, I ran away with the circus, but never got past cleaning up after the
elephants.
Like many of the terminally unique---the only thing I fear is being called a
flibbertigibbet.

In answer to your question:

I've seen parts of the Leary/Liddy road show online, a
couple of showmen, or showoffs--- depending on your POV. "Storming
Heaven..." covers Liddy busting Leary at Millbrook. Some speculate; the
Leary bust got Liddy his job in the Nixon White House.

In addition to integrating my experience of over four decades
ago, my interest in psychedelics is commercial. I'm developing a film about the
60's---the genre is black comedy. I decided I needed to use one of the many
personalities
of that era, as my protagonist, or villain---to develop the story around. My
first choice was Abby Hoffman, but Spielberg has a Hoffman story in
development; I then thought of Leary, but George DiCaprio, Leonardo's pop, has
had a Leary story in development for sometime---with Leonardo as Tim; it may be
awhile, before they get it done, as I believe their "Brave New World"
has been green lit (George was a good friend of both Leary and Laura
Huxley)---with Ridley Scott helming.

Anyway, I then decided: 'To hell with it---I'll just use
acid, as the hero, or villain'---depending your POV.

For back-story, I started my research with the synthesis of
mescaline, in the early part of the twentieth century; the legacy, and degrees
of separation, that brought psychedelics to the 60's Boomers is fascinating.
IMO, many who take the shape of Eastern thought---in the West---for granted, may
never have heard anything about it without the Boomers being exposed to
psychedelics
(I include the ubiquitous availability of yoga studios in this premise); also
true, IMO, of who---Philip Goldberg says, Maharishi became, in the DNA of 170
years of American Veda.

One example, of this legacy and degrees of separation, is Robert
Gordon Wasson, the Wall Street banker, who introduced the American public to
the "divine (psilocybin) mushrooms, used in some South American rituals---
through an article in LIFE magazine in the 50's. IMO: A direct line can be
drawn from Wasson, his Russian wife, and the folks who turned on Leary, in
Mexico, with mushrooms---for the first time: And from there, a direct line to
the Harvard Psychedelic Club.

http://www.imaginaria.org/wasson/life.htm

Another example was Al Hubbard (a.k.a Johnny Appleseed)---who
turned on Humphrey Oswald (the man who coined the word psychedelic)---who
turned on Aldous Huxley, and managed the Saskatchewan mental hospital where
early (non-CIA) psychedelic work was done, and Myron Stolaroff---who founded
IFAS in Menlo Park and turned on Doug Englehart and got the ball rolling in
Silicon Valley---you can draw a line from IFAS to the Homebrew Computer Club,
Jobs, and a lot of the early personal computer industry. He also supplied
Sidney Cohen in LA, as well as a number of other prominent psychiatrists, who
turned on Alan Watts and a host of celebrities like Cary Grant. Hubbard did
more than anyone to "seed" North America with LSD. Any "Sandoz"
acid that was taken (before Owsley Stanley and The Brotherhood of Eternal Love
got rolling) probably had Hubbard's finger prints on it; He was the legal
distributor for Sandoz in North America, well into the sixties. He was a
hustler worthy of any character in "TIN MEN"---at one point he raised
money in a public offering for a perpetual motion machine, that used oxygen to
fuel motors. Like myself, he was a devout Roman Catholic. Also interesting, in
"Storming Heaven..." are the feelings many of these pioneers had
toward Leary, Albert (Ram Dass), and, "The Harvard Psychedelic
Club"---in general; Huxley (who introduced Huston Smith to Leary and
"The Club") and Stolaroff---both first thought Leary was too square:) to be
an effective advocate for psychedelics--- were later horrified to see what
Leary was doing; to something they thought would be of great benefit to
humanity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_LSD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euiq1AcZDUU&feature=related

(If you have not already; I recommend watching all six parts of this program on
youtube, the above clip has a bit about Hubbard)

Another fascinating character is Alexander Shulgin who
probably invented more psychedelics then everyone else combined; He was a
consultant for DEA till he got on their bad side, when he published his life's
work---the
encyclopedias of psychedelics; Pihkal and Tihkal (if you like chemistry, they're
an excellent read). He discovered STP by accident, which got out onto the
street in 68---after he presented a technical paper to his scientific peers.
He’s
probably best known as the re-inventor of ecstasy (based early work at Merck).
He
literally discovered hundreds of psychedelics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Shulgin

http://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/158496.Alexander_Shulgin

It's interesting to consider the 32-year timeline starting
with Hoffmann's discovery in 1938, in Basel, and ending with LSD being made
Schedule 1 in 1970. I had an office in Basel, 30 years ago; I walked the
streets imagining Hoffmann riding his bike home, through that medieval city,
experiencing
the first acid trip---just down the street from BIS (Bank For International
Settlements).

Leary and the Harvard Psychedelic Club are two thirds into
this time line, and, IMO, what happened in the fifties, before The Club, is as
interesting as what happened during the 60's--- when Leary and Kesey scared the
hell out of the powers that be, which lead to all psychedelics becoming Schedule
1; I believe, completely nuts---since psychedelics are not addictive, while
alcohol and cigarettes so obviously are.

Personally, I think Leary's Millbrook period (Metzner and Albert,
as well as Peggy, Bill and Tommy Hitchcock---heirs to the Mellon fortune---are
a few of the standouts in this period) is just as interesting as the Harvard
Psychedelic Club phase. "Storming Heaven..." covers Millbrook and the
Harvard period as well as pretty much the whole 32 year time line. One of
hundreds of good stories in the book is about Robert Thurman at Millbrook; I
think Thurman is representative of my cross-pollination premise.

http://books.google.ca/books/about/Storming_heaven.html?id=gfqNsrwLH6IC

My premise: The psychedelic experience, of close to two
million Western Boomers, ---by the time these substances were made Schedule I,
lead
them directly to Eastern thought; more specifically, in Maharishi's
case---close to ten thousand of them becoming TM initiators, from 1968 to 1978.
I arrived at this opinion through understanding my own experience, as a full
time initiator from '72 to '77 and the study of other manifestations of Eastern
thought, and Eastern teachers---in the West, from the early 60's to late 70's;
as well as the fact that prior to 1960, Eastern Mysticism and more specifically
"American Veda" was mostly the interest of the Western Upper classes
rather than all classes----as it became with the Boomers in the 60's. As a few
examples; SRM in the 50's, Yogananda, Vivekananda, Krishnamurti and, of course,
the Theosophists. I believe the "New Age" or American Veda---as we
know it, cannot be separated from psychedelics. I remember Jerry Jarvis joking
about the crowds being initiated at the Berkeley center (many became
initiators) after fleeing "The Haight" (as he called it); I wonder, being from
the late part of the earlier, elite, group if he really understood what the
boomers (and their psychedelics) would do to TM and Eastern thought, as a
whole, in the West.

The following three clips summarize some of the milestones three milestones the
Boomers passed through to get to what
became the American Veda, of our generation, that many take for granted; in
some cases---forgetting, where we came
from.  What did Santayana say about "Those who cannot remember the past..."?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEhjZSxO_I8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leP16fM3wsg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxrCqMuVods